Parymenopus consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
So i talked with ismart about creating a consolidated for parymenopus keepers and he ok'd it, so here goes :)

Range:

Native to the highlands in Malaysia, mainly Tapah hills and the Cameron Highlands

Habitat:

Tall trees and plants; often in canopies

Description:

Small; about 2 inches fully grown female, male less than 1 inch. Depending on condition, can be yellow, neon green, yellow & pink, pink (not dominantly) and a mix of all three. One documented case of a deep rose-red female. Similar to orchids in a way, only stouter and a little shorter. Adult males are a mixture of yellow and orange-brown with 3 black spots on each side of the wing covers. Females are much larger and a rich yellow with 3 black spots on each side of the wing covers.

Temperature:

I found that a stable 75-85 degrees fahrenheit is good for daytime, and at night it should only dip down to 65 degrees fahrenheit at most

Diet:

Parymenopus, just like all other flower mantids, prefer (and sometimes only accept) flying food. Some say other food is bad for them

Cannibalism:

Like all other flower mantids, these are EXTREMELY cannibalistic and must be separated at second instar

Humidity:

These need a lot of humidity, up to 90% or else they will mismolt. Personally, I mist the cage regularly, up to 3 times a day, and I've only had perfect molts

Breeding:

Same general breeding care as orchids. In my opinion, even easier. The male readily and constantly will try to mount and connect to the female. I've never had an issue breeding

Sexing:

These are very hard to sex, but I have found a difference. On the tip of the abdomen, each sex has a brownish color. The males' seem to be a lot darker. Young females also have much larger leg plates than males at the same instar. The abdomens of females are also much wider than same instar males

Last edited by a moderator:
My baby before she passed. :(

IMAG0145.jpg

IMAG0240_zps7f4165c7.jpg

You could maybe add, females at younger instars have bigger leg plates, and seem to be wider than same instar males.

You could maybe add, females at younger instars have bigger leg plates, and seem to be wider than same instar males.
Yes, now i'm noticing the difference you have stated. Originally i was comparing male vs male vs male. :lol: I had not realized at the time, i had mostly all males to begin with.

Yes, now i'm noticing the difference you have stated. Originally i was comparing male vs male vs male. :lol: I had not realized at the time, i had mostly all males to begin with.
Strange how orchids are the opposite. Well this is a very unique species. Also females' abdomens are MUCH wider. I noticed that difference between male and female

Strange how orchids are the opposite. Well this is a very unique species. Also females' abdomens are MUCH wider. I noticed that difference between male and female
wait r these like orchids where males have the brown thorax band and females have the green thorax band or r they both the same in parahymenopus??

wait r these like orchids where males have the brown thorax band and females have the green thorax band or r they both the same in parahymenopus??
First off: Parymenopus :lol:

Second, yes. Males have a brown upper thorax and thorax band, while females' thorax is just yellow.

colors are much closer with these, no green stripe to make it easy like the pinks. All my females have a brown stripe, no yellow?

The colors show up depending on conditions. I think they show more green when exposed to more heat, and when it is cooler, they are pinker, but this is just a guess hypothesis.

First off: Parymenopus :lol:

Second, yes. Males have a brown upper thorax and thorax band, while females' thorax is just yellow.
wait so hymenopus male nymphs have the brown and female hymenopus have the yellow or green? when is this appearant? sorry if i am too lazy to go dig up hymenopus consolidated lol

colors are much closer with these, no green stripe to make it easy like the pinks. All my females have a brown stripe, no yellow?
wow these guys must be very interesting to try and figure out :D

wait so hymenopus male nymphs have the brown and female hymenopus have the yellow or green? when is this appearant? sorry if i am too lazy to go dig up hymenopus consolidated lol
No nymphs of males have the same looks. Females change. JUST LOOK AT THE PICS! :lol: