Parymenopus davisoni (Yellow Orchid Mantis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brancsikia339

Reaction score
Parymenopus davisoni (Yellow Orchid Mantis)

Introduction:

Parymenopus davisoni is a rare species of flower mantis native to remote jungles in Malaysia, mainly Sunda island, Tapah hills and Perak. They are considerably smaller than Hymenopus coronatus, but have nearly the same care requirements. They grow to around 3" long at adult. In fact, some say that Parymenopus is even easier than Hymenopus. L1's are a lighter orange, to the point of orange-yellow, while Hymenopus are a darker orange-red. Defining differences that separate the two species include the steady thick yellow coloration in Parymenopus, while Hymenopus get much lighter, to the colors white and pink. There are many possibilities of colors forms of Parymenopus. There is plain yellow, thick yellow, pink and yellow, pink (mostly), green, light yellow (seeming white), and an orange rosy red color.(brancsikia339)

These mantids have similar care to Hymenopus, actually nearly identical.(brancsikia339)

There was original confusion of the real spelling of the scientific name Parymenopus davisoni. It was spelled Parhymenopus davisoni, Parymenopus davidsoni, Parahymenopus davidsonii, Parymenopus davisonii, and so on. These are incorrect.(brancsikia339)

Currently I am unsure if these are still prospering in culture, I am sure some people still have them.(brancsikia339)

Not for beginners but still amazing.(brancsikia339)

Development:

...many requirements to make the molt right. High humidity and temps are a must have for this species.(brancsikia339)

• Rate of growth and factors involved
  • Longevity
  • Molting observations
Behavior/temperament:

• Degree of activity
  • Degree of aggression or timidity
  • Propensity to cannibalize
  • Dynamics of threat display
Captive Environment:

I kept my Hymenopus and Parymenopus at the same temperature and they both molted perfectly. I kept them at around 85 degrees Fahrenheit, misted daily...(brancsikia339)

• Type and size of enclosure(s) used.
  • Substrate or lack thereof
  • Cage furnishings, e.g. molting surfaces, perches, décor, plants, etc.
  • Communal housing if applicable
Feeding:

...and fed exclusively on flying food (BB's, HF's, moths, butterflies and the occasional wasp).(brancsikia339)

Breeding:

• Sexing/sexual dimorphism (explanation of physical differences and/or adult sizes of the sexes)
  • Time needed from last molt to copulation
  • Tips: give us your methodology.
  • Tips for inducing copulation and fecundity
  • Tips for inducing female to lay oothecae
Oothecae:

• Physical description and average size. Picture desired; include with other pictures at bottom of Care Sheet.
  • Diapause if necessary
  • Incubation time and temperature
  • Observed number/s and range of hatching nymphs
Optional

• Health Issues: infections or illnesses encountered.
  • Additional Observations: pertinent information which doesn't neatly fit anywhere else.
  • Photos: up to five may be posted at the bottom of the completed template. Please limit these photos to no more than one of an ootheca, two of nymphs(different instars), one of an adult female, and one of an adult male.
Ooth after drying (they don't look like this one. This one was a bit deformed)

p1CgVbW.jpg

(photo: brancsikia339)

Sub female

NInhJrC.jpg

Adult male
SXvau57.jpg

Adult female with ooth

RLAl7gH.jpg

Contributors: brancsikia339, jamurfjr