? about oothes.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicks75

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm putting an order in for some Chinese mantis oothes to put in my backyard with hopes of seeing some adults in the months to come. I'm not sure if the timing is right to put them out once I get them, I live in western pennsylvania where the temps are still getting as low as the upper 20's, to mid 50's.

I'm sure it wont be long before it gets warm enough to hatch but I'm concerned it about it getting too cold once they do.

Its not uncommon to get really cold nights through april, how cold can Chinese mantises tolerate once they hatch?

Should I be concerned or can I just put them out when I recieve them and trust nature to do the job right?

Also I'm getting 14 oothes, is this enough to make it likely that I will see some in the later months as adults? There are plenty of bushes surrounding my yard for them to live.

Thanks.

Do you have tall grass or patches of short bamboo in your yard or area? Chinese Mantids already live in Pennsylvania.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/10098/data
I have a good varity of plants surrounding my back yard, I do have bamboo on the back edge where the woods begin, ive seen chineese mantids in my area but very rarely, maybe once every few years, I'm hoping to increase the population so I can see them more often and for pest control.

I have a good varity of plants surrounding my back yard, I do have bamboo on the back edge where the woods begin, ive seen chineese mantids in my area but very rarely, maybe once every few years, I'm hoping to increase the population so I can see them more often and for pest control.
How about finding some S. carolina ooths instead? At least then you will be spreading a native species.

How about finding some S. carolina ooths instead? At least then you will be spreading a native species.
I'll keep my eyes open for them, if I can find them cheap enough I'll certainly pick a few up.

nicks75 have you not seen carolina in your area?
No I haven't, it's rare for me to find any mantids in my area, when I do it's usually t. Sinensis. I seen one last year and it was few years since I seen any before that. Though I don't spend much time activly searching for any, I usually find them on my deck or if I'm lucky enough to spot one hiding in bushes when I'm around them. I do however have no problem finding stinkbugs, mosquitoes, wasps and hornets, moths and other anoying pest insects. Theres certainly no shortage of food in my yard.

If you look through forests on short trees and underneath bark on tree stumps you might find S. carolina oothecae. Also I have had female and male S. carolina come to our porch lights during the night here in the NC.

Last edited by a moderator: