Dmina's mantid collection in progression 2014

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmina

Reaction score
I really wanted to start this when I first started collecting, well time has really flown. I am going to go back to the beginning in collection order.. This is for my own memory.. (because I can't count on my own) Hope you all enjoy my journey. I figured who better to share it with, then my buggy friends.

So my journey started off with an internet search for a garden mantis, which I could not find a mantis available anywhere... Started looking up mantids native to Michigan. Decided to start looking for Chinese, or European mantis, for a couple months I kept searching. I could only find ooths, so I decided to get 1 (Chinese) and see what happens. I kept searching and purchased another ooth (European). While I was doing my searches, I started finding pet mantids ... and as I continued searching a whole new world opened up right before my eyes...Then I found this place, everyone showing off their beautiful pets & sharing so much info. Yes, I had been bitten, hard not by a mantid for real... just by my own OCD. I had decided that the ooths had not hatched (it was getting late in the season) So I would keep them through the winter and release them next spring. So I might as well get a couple of pets to watch grow while my ooths hatch.. I have been learning so much new stuff that I had no idea how interesting and entertaining an insect could be. Multiply that by 10... pure joy... Did not have any luck with my ooths (Too late in the season, I think) But I have one heck of a pet collection started. And a second home here with people who enjoy the hobby as much as I do. I just hope I can learn to take better pictures throughout this journey for your sake, because I am not doing too well with my pics so far. I will be adding mantis pictures slowly, to this now and then with updates. (I still have to take the photo's)

Enough talk, here we go!

... First mantis I got was L2 Pseudocreobotera Wahilbergii - Spiny flower mantis or #9 mantis

A:

B:

C:

Last edited by a moderator:
D:

E:

F:

It is funny how different each one is, and the different personalities each have.

Some of them love posing for pictures, others just want to play...

I wish I had done this, I started off with two Ghosts and a "freebee" Sp. lineola.

added some creo. pictipennis. then a sinomantis denticulata or glass mantis (which was SMALL and a jumpy little guy or gal) then a Violin mantis ( I still want to get my hands on a Gongy ooth) and a bunch more ghosts ( I wanted to grow out as many green females if I could and see if there was any way to get a green male...never happened) and a couple native California wild caught but different species.

this forum has all the right people to give good advise and pick up some cool bugs!

Keep at it...I have, alas, had to let my collection go for the time being but want to start up again when things sort out at work so I have the time to care for more than a couple mantids.

You will be so amazed at every new addition ( at least I was) and still am! Good luck with your continuing success :)

Thank you.. I decided just to put a couple pics of each species.. Not the whole crew of each species.. LOL

Some of them you can get photo's easy.. It's like they like to have their pictures taken ... and the others I can't even get a clear shot..

I do love working with them... Every once in a while I let out a giggle because of something one does... I look around and think... Denise, you are laughing at a bug... and I smile again... Who knew?

Thank you Mantidbro, I am proud of them, I have done alright for a beginner. There have been a couple panic emails, or post ... but all in all very educating. At my age learning something new, is not as easy as it used to be. So I am proud of this accomplishment so far ... I did jump in with both feet, a little more then I should have. I think it has given me a lot to experience, it has given me new insight to how a whole new (new to me) culture evolves. I got almost all my mantis from L2 ... so I could watch or learn each species mannerisms, and see the different instar growth. I am so glad I made that choice. That I think has amazed me the most. When they molt... how some of them grow very slow, and some come out of their last skin, double the size.

OK More pics

Deroplatys Desiccata = Dead Leaf Mantis: They were L2 now L5ish

Deroplatys Lobata = Malaysian Dead Leaf: They were L2 Now L5ish

Hestiasula Major = Giant Boxer Mantis Got them L2 now L4ish No giant by any means, I think someone was wishful thinking when naming this one..

Popa Spurca = African Twig Mantis These one's are really different..at least for me.. all my other mantis pretty much molt at the same time.. These ones for me just seem to molt whenever they want.

I got them all at the same time.. @L2 Some are L4 to L6ish.

Sphodromantis Viridis = African Giant Mantis got them L2 now L4

Thanks for looking in... To be continued ...

Creobroter sp. = Flower Mantis Got them @ L2 now L5

Miomantis Binotata = African Pinstripe mantis Got them at L2 now L5

Sorry about these photo's I tried with 3 different nymphs.. could not get them to stand still!

Will try after they molt again.

Parasphendale Agrionina = African Budwing @ L3 now L5

Stagmomantis Carolina = Carolina Mantis @ L4 now L6ish

Idolomantis Diabolica = Devils Flower Mantis they are L2

Hymenopus Coronatus = Orchid Mantis they are L2

The last 2 were my Birthday present to myself... That is my little zoo.. I will try and update each as they molt.. or other milestones...

Thank you for taking the time to look in ... I hope you enjoyed looking at them as much as I do.

To be continued ...