CosbyArt mantid thread

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
I figured it was time to get some photos of my current mantids, as I missed many stages of their development with photos (or the complete lives of others I had). I took all these photos today right before feeding time, and snapped a few while they ate.

Budwing mantid (Parasphendale affinis) just finished molting to L5.

6-7-15-budwing2.jpg

Deadleaf mantid Sammy (Deroplatys lobata) L8

6-7-15-deadleaf-sammy.jpg

Deadleaf mantid Terry (Deroplatys lobata) L8

6-7-15-deadleaf-terry.jpg

Indian Flower mantid (Creobroter pictipennis) L7

6-7-15-flower1.jpg

Ghost mantid Bandit (Phyllocrania paradoxa) L6. Interesting note on this mantid is I got him at L2 and he only had one forearm, and at L6 still only has one arm (no other arm numb, or growth of any kind).

6-7-15-ghost1-.jpg

Ghost mantid Bandit (Phyllocrania paradoxa) L6 eating a blue bottle fly. As you can see he keeps the arm near the middle of his body and has no problem catching flies or small crickets now. When he walks he does a hobble to move his forearm, and if he is in a hurry he'll use his head to fill in for his missing forearm.

6-7-15-ghost1-feeding.jpg

Ghost mantid (Phyllocrania paradoxa) L6

6-7-15-ghost2.jpg

Ghost mantid (Phyllocrania paradoxa) L6 eating a blue bottle fly

6-7-15-ghost2-feeding.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Griffin mantid (Polyspilota griffinii) (Nate 2) L6
6-7-15-griffin2.jpg

Griffin mantid (Polyspilota griffinii) (Kat Poly 3) L6
6-7-15-kat-poly-3.jpg

Japanese boxer mantid (Acromantis japonica) (#2) L6
6-7-15-jboxer2.jpg

Japanese boxer mantid (Acromantis japonica) (#3) L6
6-7-15-jboxer3.jpg

Double Shield mantid (Pnigomantis medioconstricta) (Kat DS 1) L7
6-7-15-kat-ds-1.jpg

Double Shield mantid (Pnigomantis medioconstricta) (Kat DS 3) L5
6-7-15-kat-ds-3.jpg

Egyptian Pygmy mantid (Miomantis paykullii) L5(?) - the camera ham who will usually pose and stare straight at the camera.
6-7-15-ooth15-5.jpg

Egyptian Pygmy mantid (Miomantis paykullii) eating a green bottle fly. I found my Pygmy mantids enjoy the bottle flies much more than fruit flies, including the Hydei.
6-7-15-ooth15-5-feeding.jpg

Great job... So glad you finally jumped in and started your own collection thread... They all look great.. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to seeing more...

Awesome mantids dude! :)

Are you sure your D. lobata are male?? Females are usually the ones with the extra molt! And their reproductive organs look female if I'm not mistaken? How long are they atm?

Awesome mantids dude! :)

Are you sure your D. lobata are male?? Females are usually the ones with the extra molt! And their reproductive organs look female if I'm not mistaken? How long are they atm?
Thanks, they were your babies. ;)

Ha, I gave up on the guessing game - that is why I did not list any sex male/female labels in my photos. They are just shy of 2 1/2" from the top of their head to the end of their abdomens. If you want to give it a try feel free, here are two shots of Sammy's abdomen.

sammy-abdomen-l8.jpg

Thanks, they were your babies. ;)

Ha, I gave up on the guessing game - that is why I did not list any sex male/female labels in my photos. They are just shy of 2 1/2" from the top of their head to the end of their abdomens. If you want to give it a try feel free, here are two shots of Sammy's abdomen.

Female after all! Lol i guess i did sex them correctly! :D females are exactly 3" as adults.

CosbyArt, since the three of us (you,mantidbro,and myself...) lucked out on our pairs and I seem to be the last male owner of our group... I'm willing to donate my male (Gump.) in the name of the "greater cause".

Though he's still young and has alot of catching up to do... He's available if you're interested. I'm open to holding onto him for you, just pm me and let me know. :)

Female after all! Lol i guess i did sex them correctly! :D females are exactly 3" as adults.
Well great job, nice to know what they are. :D

CosbyArt, since the three of us (you,mantidbro,and myself...) lucked out on our pairs and I seem to be the last male owner of our group... I'm willing to donate my male (Gump.) in the name of the "greater cause".

Though he's still young and has alot of catching up to do... He's available if you're interested. I'm open to holding onto him for you, just pm me and let me know. :)
I appreciate it, but hold onto him for the time being if nothing else to see if they will be able to mate when the time comes closer (in instar age). If it does comes down to it I'll send you a couple ooths, nymphs, or whichever you prefer from their union.
thumbup.gif

Well great job, nice to know what they are. :D

I appreciate it, but hold onto him for the time being if nothing else to see if they will be able to mate when the time comes closer (in instar age). If it does comes down to it I'll send you a couple ooths, nymphs, or whichever you prefer from their union.
thumbup.gif
Lol thanks! :)

I sent you a message btw, i have an adult male atm, maybe we can see if he will still be in good shape by the time your girls are adults! :) if so id be willing to send him over

My Japanese boxer mantid (Acromantis japonica) (#2) molted earlier today to adult, and grew some nice wings. It is the first adult I've had in quite awhile. :)

DSC_1633-2.jpg

You did a good job... It looks really good.. love those wings.. Some of mine are now adults... need to breed them this weekend... I have adult A.j's and M. paykulii's to try to breed this weekend both started calling before my vacation..

You did a good job... It looks really good.. love those wings.. Some of mine are now adults... need to breed them this weekend... I have adult A.j's and M. paykulii's to try to breed this weekend both started calling before my vacation..
Thanks I just feed the mantid, it did all the hard work. ;)

Sounds like you have your weekend planned, best of luck.

Lol you have to really speed up your l5 Pnigomantis, as it is a female, your l7 is a presub male xD. Both lobatas were clearly female from just looking at the shield, the males have a very reduced shield and are really small until adult.

Lol you have to really speed up your l5 Pnigomantis, as it is a female, your l7 is a presub male xD. Both lobatas were clearly female from just looking at the shield, the males have a very reduced shield and are really small until adult.
Thanks for the IDs, but I don't worry about breeding, as they are primarily pets. ;) I got the double shields from different keepers so I am amazed they are as close in instar as they are. Although I may see about trading them off when they reach adults though, for they have a chance to breed, as I 10 more mantids inbound that should be here today.

LOL!... Well, I see soneones been skipping out on the group meetings again. Shame shaaame... ^_^

Whatcha gettin' buddy?
Yeah I "fell off the wagon" lol. :D

I was told my package has 4 L2 Ghosts (Phyllocrania paradoxa), 3 L2 African twig mantids (Popa spurca), and 3 L1 Madagascan Marbled mantids (Polyspilota aeruginosa). The tracking number says it is out for delivery so it should be here in a few hours or less. ;)