Pseudovates peruviana

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantisdeperu

Reaction score
Hi, These are my Pseudovates peruviana mantids, They´re from Perú and are P. arizonae´s cousin, and have an small horn.

pseudovates_peruviana_male01_720.jpg

pseudovates_peruviana_female02_366.jpg

pseudovates_peruviana_female01_499.jpg

Regards.

Christian Fernando

Nice and colorful species, although slightly less spectacular to cousin species Arizona unicorn. Wish this species (Pseudovates sp.) could be more common in the market and readily available. This species is in my wish list for sure!

Sure Yen, I think the same that yours, in general all Vatinae Sub-Family members are very interesting.

Here in Perú are more generus: Pseudovates, Vates, Phyllovates

Christian Fernando

The only species from Peru i have kept was Oxyopsis Peruviana, how common are they (Pseudovates, Vates, Phyllovates sp) compared to Oxyopsis Peruviana?

Oxyopsis peruviana is the most common mantis in Perú. There are a lots in all the jungle, Pseudovates is more dificult to search beacuse htey live in specific places, but when you found one you can found all the family.

Christian Fernando

Nice and intresting mantids they are. Hopefully they will end up over here.

Hi.

Some ID correction: this is a Phyllovates, can't say what species from the photos only, though. Seems to be different from the species I had (Ph. tripunctata). Pseudovates have lobes on their legs.

Would be interested in ooths of this one.

Regards,

Christian

Christian, sorry for answering late but I have been busy. there are some diference between Pseudovates and Phyllovates but the most important are: Pseudovates have small and moderated lobes and presenting 2 dun and oblique spots on the disc-shaped area (Rivera 2004). I know these photos are very bad but I promess take some and goods photos of my mantids, so you will be able to go out of your doubt.

regards

Hi.

I would be interested in this species, either in an ooth or in dead specimens. And also in a pdf of Rivera 2004. Please write me a PM.

Regards,

Christian

Hello Yen, and all.

I don't think Chistian (from Peru) meant that they are communal,but since they happen in specific zones you can find more than 2-3 on the same location.

regards

FT

Hi my friends. Robomantis, is correct that you say, please only wait ok?

With regard to what Francisco says, it´s true. I have observed in the same habitat we can find several individuals, but they are never united, enclosed they are grouped and you will not return to find another group of mantis at least to 500 meters to the semibreve. The oothecae are in the habit of grouping and placing them in the same plant. I have managed to find oothecae of different epochs what makes me think that the mantis return to the place where they were born to place their oothecae, I have observed in Pseudoxyops too. Even it is said that there is a maternal instinct of the females, who are in the habit of remaining near his oothecae, is for such a motive that always I can find almost always an adult female and simultaneously oothecae.

This is something that I cannot confirm but very soon I they will have some innovation.

Latest posts