What is Eye Rub on a Mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seller of my giant shield mantis said that mantises can get a condition called eye rub I don’t know what it is

How do you prevent it? Sounds scary! I think I have had this happen to my mantis before as one time it developed black spots on its eyes?

Its not life threatening or anything, it just marrs the appearance of the eye, and messes with the function a bit. A lot of my mantids have eye rub, because they will try to hunt other mantids through the walls of their cage and rub their eyes on the plastic. You can prevent it by using large cages, making sure there is nothing to hunt right outside the cage, and using a mesh cage. 

- MantisGirl13 

No I am referring to this photo for example. You can see the pseudopupils, but then you can see dark black spots. Is this the eye rub?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rhombodera_basalis_2_Luc_Viatour_cropped.jpg

The seller I am getting a mantis from said you can get eye rub from mesh screens in a terrarium from the store. I have one and have never had this problem?

sheralynn has them on both eyes, but dont have the feeling she is seeing bad with it. but won't surprise me that the eyes are getting damaged.

eye-rub-sheralynn.png

Latest posts