Weird Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
One time I found an adult chinese mantis that looked like a male. It had ling antennae and long wings and a narrow abdomen. It also wasn’t stocky like a female. Then here comes the weird part-brace yourselves-it had seven segments on the bottom of its abdomen instead of eight like a male plus it had female genitals not male. It didn’t have six like a female either. Trust me I DID NOT COUNT WRONG. Please explain if you can.

But why did it have long antennae like a male instead of short like a female and why did it have 7 segments instead of 6 then?

No it was not i repeat it was not. According to some websites I have read females can have 6-7 segments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then can u explain why it had 7 segments? Is it true then based on websites ive read that females can have 6-7 segments? If so I have a theory that females with 7 segments have boy and girl qualities, as this girl had as ling antennae as a boy adult and also was very skinny and not stocky like a girl.

Could it have been a very similar species like the narrow winged?
That's probably it. Tenodera agustipennis is very similar looking to the Chinese mantis, but it's abdomen is more narrow, hence the name narrow winged mantis.

- MantisGirl13 

Then why did it have seven segments on it abdomen. And why did it have super long antennae a girl does not have long antennae.

Then why did it have seven segments on it abdomen. And why did it have super long antennae a girl does not have long antennae.
Possibly it just was different, just like every person is different. 6-7 segments and short vs long antennnae are just "usually" the features on a male vs. female. Doesn't mean it's the die hard rule with no exceptions.

She could just be a female with unusual features (long antennnae i.g.).

Segments are a pretty inconsistent way of sexing mantises as it varies species to species. Looking at the genitalia are they way to go