Do Mantis do Good and Molt Okay in Critter Keepers?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6CF2B14B-CE2A-4F9E-9EC2-4DB40FC40EE5.jpeg

Ya, Kritter Keepers really aren't good for mantids. If you have one that you'd like to use, you can hot glue tulle or screen to the lid to provide the correct grip. 

- MantisGirl13 

I customized my critter keeper by hot-gluing pieces of burlap to the sides + top of the cage to provide grip. In order to make sure the thing doesn't melt from the UTH I have a piece of folded paper between the glass and the Kritter keeper (the UTH is under a 20-gallon tank which has the K.K. inside of it). ***Side Note: The K.K. was flipped so that it was like a vertical cage to provide my orchid mantis with more height to molt from.

I've just cut pieces of paper towel or burlap and used the trapdoor to keep them affixed and taut at the top. I also attach climbing surface (coconut palm fiber) to the back. Other than losing humidity a bit faster than glass, I've so far had no issues.

Ive used critter cages in the past and they have molted on the top before and had no issues so idk. But I wont use them anymore I guess. Can I use them to keep crickets from my local pet store to feed my mantises when it is winter and there are no bugs out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive used critter cages in the past and they have molted on the top before and had no issues so idk. But I wont use them anymore I guess. Can I use them to keep crickets from my local pet store to feed my mantises when it is winter and there are no bugs out?
I also kept my sphodromantis lineola male in a critter keeper for a brief time and he molted into an adult no issues. I put a paper towel under the lid as a better gripping surface and included a few twigs held up by tension. You can definitely keep crickets in them- they make special critter keepers for that exact purpose that include tubes for easy extraction, but a normal one works just as well.