Mantis nibbling me?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owldoggo

Reaction score
Why is my mantis biting at my skin sometimes? I’m not doing anything to him besides let him rest on my hand. It doesn’t hurt right now but it scares me— he’s gonna turn into a big mantis when he grows up. 

When your skin is moist (sweat, oils, water, etc.) the mantis senses the water and bends down to drink. Once it tastes the salt from your skin, sometimes is will bite. If it really likes the taste, it will grab on to you with its claws, at which point it really hurts, but make sure not to fling it at the wall accidentally! 

Yes, this has happened to me too many times to count. 

- MantisGirl13 

make sure the little dude is hydrated, mine do that only when they are thirsty. like mantisgirl said he bends down looking for water, but if hes already drank you can hold him without him nibbling.

When your skin is moist (sweat, oils, water, etc.) the mantis senses the water and bends down to drink. Once it tastes the salt from your skin, sometimes is will bite. If it really likes the taste, it will grab on to you with its claws, at which point it really hurts, but make sure not to fling it at the wall accidentally! 

Yes, this has happened to me too many times to count. 
Thank you for telling me, I was a bit worried for a second! Mantids are funky lads 

make sure the little dude is hydrated, mine do that only when they are thirsty. like mantisgirl said he bends down looking for water, but if hes already drank you can hold him without him nibbling.
Thank you, too! I’ll go ahead and give him some honey to make sure he’s fine. 

Thank you for telling me, I was a bit worried for a second! Mantids are funky lads 

Thank you, too! I’ll go ahead and give him some honey to make sure he’s fine. 
make sure to also give him some plain water too, as while honey is good for them it isn't exactly thirst quenching

I had this same problem. It wasn't water though, it was hunger. I was underfeeding, and my mantids were alr large and the bite hurt horribly lol. Just feed the mantis well and give him/her lots of water.

Latest posts