Telling apart Thespidae?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikenepo

Reaction score
After catching a mantis in Georgia, I had trouble IDing it for weeks. Eventually I thought it was a Thesprotia Graminis based on where I caught it. Later, @yen_saw corrected me and said it was the more common Oligonicella Scudderi, Scudder's Mantis.

20200627_223414.jpg

After moving to Texas, I have caught more of what I thought were Scudder's Mantids. I have since noticed that while some appear more plain, tan and with black speckles like my original one, some look plain with no speckles and some are actually more gray with stripes. Other than the markings they look basically identical in size and body morph.

20200627_222802.jpg

The more Thespidae species I look up, the more I realize they could all be different species. I'll be honest, most are so similar and have such overlapping populations that I have no idea how people tell them apart. The internet so far hasn't really shown me how to either. Is there a definitive guide on this family? I'd really like to know if I'm dealing with 6 of the same species or like two or three different ones.

Apologize for my rather terrible pictures. My apartment has really harsh lighting so you can't tell the color difference as well as in person. The second one pictured was caught in central Texas, and is notably more gray than the one first pictured. It also has striping down the abdomen, no speckles (at least big enough for me to see), and brighter sides of the thorax.

Update: After sending @yen_sawsome better quality pictures (see attached) he confirmed that they are all Scudder's. The species, like Carolinas, has several variations in color and pattern.

received_261832455105416.jpeg

received_306054450773320.jpeg

received_698657897599833.jpeg

Latest posts