Violin Mantis Activity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzxmUyZNKEBoqN3e

Reaction score
Hi!

I have 2 cohabiting female violins who have been with me for a few months now - one is L8 and the other L7 (I think). I also own a C. Humeralis and have owned an Orchid in the past. These ladies are the most active mantids I've ever owned - they spend most of their day trying to climb the glass and moving round in an almost frantic way. If didn't know any better, I'd say it's a response to bad environmental conditions but I don't think this is true; they have always been like this and have survived thus far!

They live in a 5L mason jar with a ~15cm diameter and ~28cm height (to be upgraded to a 12L 20x20x30 acryllic box tomorrow). Their humidity is kept around 30-40% and temperatures in the day are about 34oC, aided by a heat lamp and mat. As far as I'm aware, this is a suitable setup. They're both fed well with captive flies (fruit flies for the smaller one and green bottles or black soldier flies for the bolder larger one). I don't handle these lot all that often as they tend to hang off of one of the many sticks in their enclosure as opposed to the top mesh, plus I've heard they're very delicate. They get a lot more docile if I remove the heat lamp, although I believe that's because the temperature falls to 'night-time' levels. I'm just wondering if this is an experience anyone else has had with these rather derpy mantids.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank's for replying! Yes, I did know they were Empusidae although I did not know that the inability to climb could be stressing them out. I was already intending on hot gluing their mesh to the sides of their new enclosure when I receive it tomorrow, so hopefully that will sort it. I would have done it to this but the geometry of mason jars is rather fiddly, especially given that the neck is rather small, making fine movement quite fiddly. Hopefully that will sort it!

Just so you know, as your mantids mature, they can get cannibalistic so I highly recommend separating them sooner than later. It doesn't matter how much you feed them, there's no such thing as a communal mantis, especially once they reach adulthood. 

- MantisGirl13 

Just so you know, as your mantids mature, they can get cannibalistic so I highly recommend separating them sooner than later. It doesn't matter how much you feed them, there's no such thing as a communal mantis, especially once they reach adulthood. 

- MantisGirl13 
Thank you for saying this! I think I may have lost track about what ages they are so I may need some help identifying their rough ages. I'll be sure to split them up though!