Desert mantis (Eremiaphila sp.) food

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlobfishBoy

Reaction score
I'm interested in these guys but I have one issue. Some people say they need firebrats as feeders while some seem to just use foods such as flies. Anyone with experience with these guys have success raising them from a young age with flies?

If you aren't a highly experienced mantis keeper I dont suggest getting this species. I'm pretty experienced but I tried keeping them three times and they all died. They require a lot of specific care, not just small feeders. 

Fruit flies should work, it is pretty adorable to see them tackle a fly.

- MantisGirl13 

eremiaphila are a difficult little species. they need firebrats because firebrats are a relatively dry food. basically what they need is prey that has not too much water. 

I contacted mantiszoo.com about this since they're currently selling desert mantis nymphs and bred them recently. This is what they said, "Hello and thanks for reaching out.  We have used both [fruit flies and firebrats] and honestly see no difference. We use fruit flies now because, like you said, they [firebrats] can be more difficult to obtain,"

Last edited by a moderator:
When I intitially raised my first batch of them I exclusively fed firebrats, but once they reached adulthood I started feeding various other things. I pumped females full of bottleflies, locusts, waxworms, or mealworms and never noticed anything unusual. No signs vomiting, weird poop or problems with ooths. Young nymphs of the next generation were fed springtails at first and for later instars I also gave them a bigger variety and never noticed any complications.

Eremiaphila is a pretty large and widespread genus, perhaps species that originate from extremely hot regions do have issues with such diets while others don't. Many of the imports that made it into the hobby never got their species identified and the location of origin often ends up forgotten, maybe that is also a cause for mistakes in their care.

I personally raised E. rotundipennis, which originated from Gujarat in India, and they felt like pretty uncomplicated mantids to me. Fast growers, ravenous eaters, and very productive females.