Ooths in mesh cages?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisMart

Reaction score
Is it safe to hang ooths in fully netted cages? Or will they dry out. Im wondering if this is why only 1 mantis came out of my ootheca.

I see some rlly tiny black dots on my ooth. What does this mean? sorry for all the questions. This is my first ooth and im trying to learn how to care for it

Is it safe to hang ooths in fully netted cages? Or will they dry out. Im wondering if this is why only 1 mantis came out of my ootheca.
Theoretically, if your house is 50pct that might not be too bad. I wouldnt tho. I like my ooths moister.

I hatch ooths in 32oz cups unless its a species that hatches large counts. I upgrade to something a bit bigger in that case.

Theoretically, if your house is 50pct that might not be too bad. I wouldnt tho. I like my ooths moister.

I hatch ooths in 32oz cups unless its a species that hatches large counts. I upgrade to something a bit bigger in that case.
How do you stop the mold?

also, how often do you spray? 

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you stop the mold?
Before using an incubation setup, I used cotton pads in the cups. I seldom see mold beyond a tiny spot on the pad. I just change it.

how often do you spray? 
I sprayed most species twice a day because Canada is very dry in the winter. Some species ooths got a squirt in between the two, after work too. More humid climates, once a day.

You'll read instructions that say to spray every few days. I just can't see that being enough in air conditioned / furnace heated North American homes.

Before using an incubation setup, I used cotton pads in the cups. I seldom see mold beyond a tiny spot on the pad. I just change it.

I sprayed most species twice a day because Canada is very dry in the winter. Some species ooths got a squirt in between the two, after work too. More humid climates, once a day.

You'll read instructions that say to spray every few days. I just can't see that being enough in air conditioned / furnace heated North American homes.
What does your ooth incubation setup look like ?