Funky Giant Asian Mantid Color!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owldoggo

Reaction score
So, I just got a new lad! Thing is— he’s a creamy white, and I couldn’t get enough detail with my potato phone camera, but his eyes look a bit red in color. I’ve seen green giant Asians, brown giant Asians, even blue ones before! I’ve never seen one as pale as him. Just wanted to share him with y’all, hear what you guys think of my new son :D

2CCCAB2F-01D4-4C92-855E-A364275246B2.jpeg

That's a nicely colored Giant Asian mantis. That would be cool if he stayed that color. Thanks for sharing!

When I had Giant Asian mantids I had a few that were light colored like that. Another cool color they come in is pink. The first male I got was pale pink colored with silvery wings!

Do you know if how well mantises with beautiful and unique colors can carry on those colors to their offspring?
Color is genetic for the most part, but can change at later stages, my guess being due to the environment. With how light my boy is, I doubt he’ll gain color or darken up much if at all— he’s already gone through a good amount of molts from what the seller told me and he’s stayed that color, here’s to hoping he continues like that!

I didn’t really plan to breed him, but it’d be a good thing to try if he ends up staying white and I get my hands on a pale giant Asian female

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a nicely colored Giant Asian mantis. That would be cool if he stayed that color. Thanks for sharing!

When I had Giant Asian mantids I had a few that were light colored like that. Another cool color they come in is pink. The first male I got was pale pink colored with silvery wings!
That sounds really pretty!! :0 

this lad’s my first giant Asian, I absolutely love him 

Color is genetic for the most part, but can change at later stages, my guess being due to the environment. 
I'm just curious how reliable genetics are for predicting the color of an adult mantis. Because I know genetics determine quite a lot seen as I've seen Orchids and Ghosts kept in the same environment being very different colors. It would be very cool to have different color forms of Giant Asian Mantises. Everywhere from a red like mine to a creamy green like yours. 

Someone should seriously experiment with that. If they can hatch like a bunch of cool colored mantids, they would get lots of people wanting them. Including me.

Someone should seriously experiment with that. If they can hatch like a bunch of cool colored mantids, they would get lots of people wanting them. Including me.
Hopefully, it can be done without inbreeding. I know that inbreeding doesn't affect mantids that much but it could still weaken the population. 

I still feel a bit too new to the mantiskeeping hobby to rear up a bunch of little mantids and ship them to sell, but it sounds like a really cool experiment/community project to do some day!

And, if it helps— Ghost just shed yesterday, and it seems that he’s gotten lighter in color! I feel like this shows he’s on track to being a really pale handsome man. Maybe if I find another female of similar color I could test if the colors truly carry on! But, judging by his size, that’ll be a fairly long while from now.