Mantids seeing eachother.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisMart

Reaction score
Is it ok if mantids see eachother all day? Mine will stare at eachother for hours at a time. I’m wondering if it’s stressful for them.

Is it ok if mantids see eachother all day? Mine will stare at eachother for hours at a time. I’m wondering if it’s stressful for them.
From what I know, they stare at each other because they want to hunt each other— it’s a way for them to get eye rub, because they’re brushing up against their enclosures trying to hunt the other mantis and following them around. I’ve been told to put a paper or something between them if they’ll be next to each other so they don’t do that. 
Then again, I’m still pretty new to the hobby! Someone else might have something else to say about it. 

Ok. I’m also worried about it causing them anxiety by being always alert. I’ll see what I can do to fix this. Any other thoughts or ideas about this is appreciated. :)  

i let mine see each other, it gives them something to do which I think is healthier than just sitting. I see no ill effects from it. they will also try to catch flies in somones elses container.

My mantids see each other too. Only Sheralynn got eye rub, the others not. Never have seen her hunting after a neighbor mantis.

Latest posts