Are Ooths from green ghosts worth more?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrh3

Reaction score
Just wondering if they are worth more that one from a dark female for the chances of some offspring being green too?

Nope, genetics don't have much to do with color as far as I can tell.

- MantisGirl13 

@MantisGirl13 What has to do with color then? Its not humidity like many say. I have raise all my ghost over the years the same temps and humidity and lighting and still get some green ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no clue. The question has been asked many times but there isn't a definite answer. 

- MantisGirl13 

@MantisGirl13 What has to do with color then? Its not humidity like many say. I have raise all my ghost over the years the same temps and humidity and lighting and still get some green ones.
It is most likely genetics, as environmental factors don't impact them like with other species (Iris oratoria comes to mind immediately). However I don't think anyone has selectively bred ghosts for long enough to have it be definitively be genetic, though environmental factors do not play a role in coloration. 

It is most likely genetics, as environmental factors don't impact them like with other species (Iris oratoria comes to mind immediately). However I don't think anyone has selectively bred ghosts for long enough to have it be definitively be genetic, though environmental factors do not play a role in coloration. 
Thats what i am thinking as well. Maybe I should start a project for all green ghosts. Would probably take a few years and I would have to hatch all ooths the green female laid. Then keep all nymphs until they reach the instar where they change color. 

Has anyone attempted this? Before I start a decade long project, LOL.

@Mantis Monarch Did you do something like this a few years back? What was the results? Did you continue for a few generations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Green ghost might be a different locality. For example the tan colour form in OBT's is a specific locality. Perhaps in the wild the 2 populations of ghosts are starting to diverge into different colour forms. I had heard that the higher the humidity, the greener the ghost, so someone should research that by keeping ghosts from the same ooths in different humidities.

Green ghost might be a different locality. For example the tan colour form in OBT's is a specific locality. Perhaps in the wild the 2 populations of ghosts are starting to diverge into different colour forms. I had heard that the higher the humidity, the greener the ghost, so someone should research that by keeping ghosts from the same ooths in different humidities.
The humidity thing is false. One ghost ooth you get multi colors of ghosts so I doubt they are 2 different locals like OBT. 

Latest posts