How old were you when you started keeping mantises?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious when most people here got into the hobby

• Less than 13

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • 13-17

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 18-21

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 22-29

• 40’s

• 50’s

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60’s +

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30’s

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

ashe

Reaction score
I was talking to someone who also is into mantises and it seems like a lot of the community got into mantises pretty young, and we were curious if that’s actually true or if everyone we know who keeps them just happens to be young.

Last edited by a moderator:
also I’m curious, what kind of mantis was everyone’s first?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm only 15, but I started keeping when I was 10 or 11 I think. I found a mantis on a picnic table in our campsite one summer and kept her (I did not do my research and she died due to a mismolt because she had no ventilation and no molting room...I've learned a lot since) and ever since I've kept mantids!

- MantisGirl13 

And you actually kept it and fed it?
Yup, unfortunately it died and I was utterly heartbroken but that kind of hooked me on them. I keep a lot of various sp of inverts but these hold a special place in my heart

i'm 15 and I started when I was 15! :D.

Its crazy that I already have 20 mantids and I've only been doing this for half a year now.

Maybe I need to slow down. Haha

Seeing as I'm 24 and got my little Enigma in July, I started keeping mantids at 24. 😉 And she's a Giant Asian mantis. 

I was 37 when ik bought my first mantis, Cochise.  She was a hierodula menbrenacea  After i saw videos about  mantis keeping.

I am now 49, so 2 year and a bit longer.