Mantis Isnt Growing Big?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
My giant asian shield mantis was L5 when I got it and now it is L7. It used to be .75 inches now it is 1.1 inches long. However, the breeder I got it from said that their giant shields that are L7 are 2 inches long! Comparison to mine that makes mine a runt! There must be something wrong with my mantis right? I have been feeding it regularly every other day moths and flies, no crickets since those are bad for mantises. I have been misting every other day. What is wrong with it im worried! Thanks and please help, because the guy I got the mantis from said mine should not be this small.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant show you a picture because I have uploaded so many photos on to mantidforum that I cant do anymore it sucks. Yah I have been on the forum still looking at stuff but not posting anything. Can u help pls?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. There is nothing wrong about what it looks like just its length so can I please not show a picture and just get advice?

I got a giant shield that just flat out stopped growing. It had 1-2 sheddings and they stopped molting. It's sibling that was an instar behind it it reached adulthood while the other nymph was barely bigger than its head. I regret not taking a photo of the size difference between the pair. The non shedder lived like 4-6 months acting otherwise as a normal nymph before finally passing. Never had something happen like that before.

I got a giant shield that just flat out stopped growing. It had 1-2 sheddings and they stopped molting. It's sibling that was an instar behind it it reached adulthood while the other nymph was barely bigger than its head. I regret not taking a photo of the size difference between the pair. The non shedder lived like 4-6 months acting otherwise as a normal nymph before finally passing. Never had something happen like that before.
Sounds like Peter Pan syndrome. I've had it happen before too.

- MantisGirl13 

I cant upload a photo no matter what it just wont let me so can you just believe me when i say its 1.1 inches? Just tell me what i should do and will it go to adulthood?

Latest posts