Ghost Mantis Behavior

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSmart

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have 3 Ghosts that are L4/L5 and have been told housing them together in a suitably sized enclosure is safe for this species. I just recently moved them all to a bigger enclosure (12X12X18in) together. There has been no issue for about 4 days now, but I recently witnessed two staring each other down, and "hitting" each other. Kind of like a warning to back off since they were near the other. I separated one of the fighters to a separate enclosure. Plenty of food is being provided. My question is if I should be concerned about cannibalism because of the aggression. I've read on how this is one of the very few species that are communal. Any help would be appreciated!

No mantis is completely communal. I like to keep my ghost mantids separately because I have had cannibalism in the past. It's up to you how you keep them, but I suggest separating them. If you do keep them communally, keep them fat and give them lots of space. This will reduce the risk of cannibalism.

- MantisGirl13