Plants in enclosure

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaylordlizard

Reaction score
Hey y'all, 

Just curious if you keep any plants in the enclosure with the mantis. I moved Momo to a bigger enclosure and put an airplant in there with them because of the ease of taking care of the plant.

I only slightly worry that it's too spiky or that it absorbs too much water in their enclosure, but honestly I don't much about plants. 

Maybe I should just stick to fake plants? 

Would love to know y'alls thoughts 👽

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few where you take a small potato or sweet potato (I'd go with sweet potato as the vines will go every which way rather than just up, and regular potatoes can have poisonous fruit/flowers). Basically, the old potatoes on the counter that start to sprout? Those are great, you just stick them in the substrate and they'll start to grow like crazy! 

They may need direct watering in the soil and definitely trim them as they grow - they can get very large. I would not recommend these for small deli cups, more like at least a half-gallon jar. If your enclosure is too small, then I'd stick with the air plant - it depends on how spiky it is though! Most of the common ones should be fine - I'm assuming you have one that looks like a bundle of grass, or a more snaky, bulbous one. The latter may provide some sturdy perches for your mantis if you affix it (right side up or upside down or sideways, the plant doesn't care; it'll just grow in whatever direction it's facing) onto a stick or mesh.

Some other great candidates would be a jade plant, which is a very common succulent with rounded leaves, or possibly an Echeveria, which contains a wide variety of beautiful rosette-like leaves which could be pale blue, bright green, or even dark purple, and with a variety of textures. However, these do grow quickly. Perhaps a small aquarium plant which does not require full submersion and low light would work? Try Anubias Nana or a java fern, they are very low maintenance and don't need to be in water. 

I've seen a few where you take a small potato or sweet potato (I'd go with sweet potato as the vines will go every which way rather than just up, and regular potatoes can have poisonous fruit/flowers). Basically, the old potatoes on the counter that start to sprout? Those are great, you just stick them in the substrate and they'll start to grow like crazy! 

They may need direct watering in the soil and definitely trim them as they grow - they can get very large. I would not recommend these for small deli cups, more like at least a half-gallon jar. If your enclosure is too small, then I'd stick with the air plant - it depends on how spiky it is though! Most of the common ones should be fine - I'm assuming you have one that looks like a bundle of grass, or a more snaky, bulbous one. The latter may provide some sturdy perches for your mantis if you affix it (right side up or upside down or sideways, the plant doesn't care; it'll just grow in whatever direction it's facing) onto a stick or mesh.

Some other great candidates would be a jade plant, which is a very common succulent with rounded leaves, or possibly an Echeveria, which contains a wide variety of beautiful rosette-like leaves which could be pale blue, bright green, or even dark purple, and with a variety of textures. However, these do grow quickly. Perhaps a small aquarium plant which does not require full submersion and low light would work? Try Anubias Nana or a java fern, they are very low maintenance and don't need to be in water. 
Yay! I knew somebody here would know about plants!! ☺

Thank you so much for the helpful information! Momo is kinda boring and ignores the airplant for the majority of the time. Lol

I didn't know about the sweet patato though and see myself using that in the future along with the other plants you've mentioned. 

20201002_150615_HDR.jpg

Latest posts