Leptocola phthisica VS Heterochaeta orientalis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimie

Reaction score
I have looked a bit at this Leptocola phthisica  and Heterochaeta orientalis It looks very nice and i really like them 😍 Is there anyone to stay away from?

Or is it a waste of money to buy them? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of or seen the first species in the hobby, and Heterochaeta orientalis aren't the easiest to care for for a beginner, I've found. I'd stick with easier species for now. 

- MantisGirl13

I have never heard of or seen the first species in the hobby, and Heterochaeta orientalis aren't the easiest to care for for a beginner, I've found. I'd stick with easier species for now. 

- MantisGirl13
OK thanks 😉

I have had two Heterocheata and they both died on their final molt. They are hard to care for have molting issues, so not the best for a beginner as MantisGirl said....

Heterochaeta is much easier to raise. I have raised both, Leptocola tends to get tangled in their exhuviae as they molt. 
Heterochaeta spp. are much more tolerant of microclimate fluctuations, and are thicker so they can eat a wider variety of prey. 
Both achieve body lengths of 13-14 cm, Leptocola being more frail. 

Looking at both def go for heterochaeta, leptocola look really thin and fragile so go for heterochaeta

Looking at both def go for heterochaeta, leptocola look really thin and fragile so go for heterochaeta
I think it will be too. But just want to read up on them a bit. Then we have to see I have to be careful not to get too many lol just like I have with the frogs here at home you will quickly get too many

Latest posts