Random Threat Pose

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantid-Tim

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and if so any idea why they would do something like this, or just random?

My Rhombodera went into a threat pose in her terrarium for apparently no reason. I was not interacting with her and just happened to be in the room to witness it (no sudden movements, etc.). After that she fell backward and then starting running around the cage frantically--at a speed I didn't know a mantis could move at, lol. I took her out eventually and then she calmed down.

I have never really seen them go into threat poses for no reason, except when about to lay an ooth (not the case here).

So not a big deal or anything, I just chalked it up to 'they're bugs; they're weird sometimes.' The only thing I can think of is there is a cage across from hers and perhaps she got spooked by another mantis 10 feet away? Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very recently I walked in on my female cat eye and she was in threat pose... in an empty room. She held the pose for several hours, non-stop. I also thought she might have been about to laid an ooth, but she hasn't since. 

What you're describing sounds like panic. I think some species are more inclined to freak out. My Rhombodera was always skittish and easily panicked. 

Mantids have very keen vision with an estimated range of over 30 feet, so getting spooked by the other mantis is a good possibility. 

Last edited by a moderator: