Awaiting final molt?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaylordlizard

Reaction score
Hi y'all.

So up until recently Momo has been going through (his?) molts with ease and success. I believe he has one more molt left till he is an adult. However, it's 3 going on 4 weeks since his last molt.

I was wondering if it's normal for G.A.M.'s to take a while to go through their last molt-or any mantis species for that matter?

A couple of times in the past I've seen Momo's head or body shake randomly, almost like they were having a seizure. They've been acting normal though so I've shrugged it off. But could that be a related to why their taking a bit longer to molt?

Thanks in advance y'all

What species is Momo?

It is normal for it to take the better part of a month for that final molt, even longer sometimes. It was about 2 months for my ghost's final molt, but they are notorious for being slow-growing mantids....

EDIT: Just saw you posted that its a giant asian. They take usually a month for the last molt, but it can always take a bit longer depending on food and temperature. More of each promotes faster growing...

Last edited by a moderator: