Significant variation in moulting times...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzxmUyZNKEBoqN3e

Reaction score
I have 2 male violins who live in identical enclosures under identical conditions with the same feeding schedules. One of them took 44 days to reach the final moult whilst I'm still waiting for the other one to make his final moult, 66 days later. I'm assuming that longevity must be partly attributed to genetics, although this is a significant amount of time difference between the two! The one who I am waiting to moult isn't showing any signs of it either (wing bud fattening, not eating etc) - I'm almost a bit worried. I knew that the last moult time was long but this seems really very long!

I have ghosts and they take about that long. I dont know for Violins specifically but some species take about 2 months for the final molt. Keep it well fed and the right humidity and it will happen.

Oh, I remember hearing they like high temperatures. Maybe your temperature is lower? That and little food keep them growing slower and living longer.

Keep being patient and making sure that your temps and feeding schedules are good. Some mantids take longer than others, but there are occasions where the mantis refuses to molt and dies because of it, although this usually happens in the lower instars. Keep an eye on your mantid's wingbuds. When they start to inflate, that is when you can expect a molt. 

- MantisGirl13

They live under a heat lamp which according the the thermometer is in a decently high temperature range and I feed the subadult 2 or 3 times a week based on abdomen size. I guess there's naught to do but wait..!
Keep us updated!

- MantisGirl13

Thanks @Mantid-Tim and @MantisGirl13 (loving the new profile pic btw!).

They live under a heat lamp which according the the thermometer is in a decently high temperature range and I feed the subadult 2 or 3 times a week based on abdomen size. I guess there's naught to do but wait..!
I feed some of my mantids every day and they molt quick because of that. My beloved lineola went from L2 to adult (L8 or L9 I think) in just over 7 weeks! She ate like a little piggy....

I feed some of my mantids every day and they molt quick because of that. My beloved lineola went from L2 to adult (L8 or L9 I think) in just over 7 weeks! She ate like a little piggy....
7 weeks?! That's insane, I've never heard of such a short lifespan before!

Keep us updated!

- MantisGirl13
Will do - now at 73 days and his wing buds are now no longer resting flat on one another, which is good. He's also maintained a bulkiness despite not having eaten in a while.