How do I Water Substrate?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
Hello, I have a setup where I have a 10 gallon tank for my mantis, a giant stick, and then some exoterra dirt substrate I got at the pet store. How do I water the substrate? How often? How do I make sure to not fill it up too much? What do I put the water in to water it with? please answer all these questions in order if you can. Thanks!

Oh I forgot to tell you the substrate is 2 inches deep so im assuming it will need a lot of water?

Its just a stick not a stick insect. Im just wondering how much do I mist? Do I pour water or mist and how heavily?

You should get a hygrometer in the terrarium and this way you can tell how much you need to mist the substrate. There is no exact formula or method that works in all situations. Experiment, i.e. trial-and-error, and its hard to do that without a hygrometer....

However you end up wetting the substrate, make sure the tank doesn't get too humid for the species. And the minute you see any mold, you might need to rethink the enclosure or completely change the substrate and keep it dryer.

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts