Is this a good setup for my giant asian shield mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
Hello I am wondering if I have a good cage setup for my mantis. I have a ten gallon tank with exoterra dirt substrate 2 inches deep, a giant stick with many places to molt on, and a screen top.

If you are planning on hand feeding that size should probably work. If your planning on letting them find their own food... Then that's too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well its a subadult and i do plan on handfeeding it. Judging it not by size but by the setup is it a good environment for it?

Are u sure its a good enclosure? I want it to go on the stick to molt not the mesh on top yet it seems to always be on the mesh? How to I make it stay on the stick?

you can't. Its a praying mantis its gonna go where it wants to go. Usually that's the top of the enclosure. It will likely molt on the top of the enclosure. I very rarely get molts that aren't on the top.

you can't. Its a praying mantis its gonna go where it wants to go. Usually that's the top of the enclosure. It will likely molt on the top of the enclosure. I very rarely get molts that aren't on the top.
Agreed. You can't expect it to molt on or hang on the stick instead of the mesh top. It will go wherever it thinks is a good place to hang out. I also very rarely get molts that are not from the lid.

- MantisGirl13

Looks like a fine enclosure. If the top is metal mesh, hot glue tulle fabric or plastic window screen to the top, this was the mantis can climb on something safe and graspable. (They can lose a tarsus on the metal.) Also the giant asian shield mantis is in the genus Rhombodera. Do you know the species, like extensicollis, megara ,etc.. I have those two species; they are all referred to as giant Asian Shield Mantis though--just curious....

It is basalis. Does that answer your question mantid tim? Can u help me more since u know that now?
Mostly just curious, I think I said already that I have two different Rhombodera species.... They like a decent amount of humidity, like 70% is my target, but not above 80% or below 50%. 

Latest posts