Hello Please Tell me Where I can buy this awesome mantis!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantis Man13

Reaction score
Also btw where does this mantis live specifically? I have heard its borneo? Correct me if Im wrong.

I've heard of people having issues with them, plus they are WAY overpriced. I don't believe this mantis is in the hobby much, especially not in America. 

- MantisGirl13

Those kind of mantids almost never come into availability. I don't think anyone is breeding them in the U.S., and if they do they are probably selling/breeding them privately.

Also btw where does this mantis live specifically? I have heard its borneo? Correct me if Im wrong.
They are spread throughout Southeast Asia. The European breeding stock originated from the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is USmantis legit though or have people had issues?
I have a good relationship with Craig at USMantis.com . Ask if he has them in stock on his websites chat and tell him you know Tim and Jane from the forums! People say scammer, but I've got all my mantids there (and 2 from insectsales.com ).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. Is this mantis from japan by chance since that is southeast asia?
Japan is not a southeast asian country. "The genus Metallyticus reviewed" by Frank Wieland has a map that shows findings of Metallyticus, though that includes the entire genus and not just M. splendidus.

mzilSPx.jpg

I have had good results from Craig from UsMantis. I got all my mantises there. Go on his site (it has a chat feature), tell him you know Tim Richman from the forums, and ask if he has what you want in stock. Sometimes he doesn't update each thing if they go out of stock and I think this is what leads to bad feedback.

The chat feature is fake. Tim, please don’t recommend USmantis even if you had a good experience. A lot of people get scammed at random. You were just lucky it seems.

USmantis has been known to occasionally ship things out to people, I would avoid him 100%. For the metallyiticus, those are pretty rare and not as common in the US hobby yet.