Colour developing before moult?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzxmUyZNKEBoqN3e

Reaction score
I have a subadult Spiny who has been in this stage for 7 weeks now and is probably very near shedding. I was always under the impression that mantids lost some colour before their moults, but in this instance his wing buds seem to have actually developed some green colouration:

8h36OHQ.jpg

(^ Todays image)

vUkPudj.jpg

(^ About a week ago)

Also, my male violin adult flew for the first time today and then proceeded to threat display me. The prize for reaching the bottom of this post is a link to see his deimatic display!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, your boy should molt today or tomorrow. Leave him alone and make sure he has a good place to molt. 

Wing buds develop color right before the molt because it means that the wings inside are developing enough color to show through the exoskeleton.

- MantisGirl13

Yup, your boy should molt today or tomorrow. Leave him alone and make sure he has a good place to molt. 

Wing buds develop color right before the molt because it means that the wings inside are developing enough color to show through the exoskeleton.

- MantisGirl13
Amazing, thank you! He nibbled on some pollen dust while I had him out when I was taking the photo, but I shall leave him alone now!

They will also become lethargic right before they molt, so if you’re worried that he’s looking weak, then he’ll molt really soon.

Latest posts