Crazy Mantis Story! (mantis rescue)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantid-Tim

Reaction score
So I have a crazy mantis story for you guys. I saved a drowned mantis. Not saved it from drowning, but actually brought it back from drowning! Let me explain.

My thin-winged (T. angustipennis) subadult Toby was out on my curtain, and after a while I couldn't find him, so I started looking. He was nowhere to be found for 5 mins and I started getting worried. Well eventually I found him floating in a glass of water on the windowsill. I was kicking my self for leaving it there; I just killed my mantis. He was completely limp and not moving. He was dead by all signs.... 

Suddenly I thought, just because an animal is not moving doesn't mean its dead. People always assume that but if a person can be brought back, maybe so can a bug? I remembered a story of my mother saving a goldfish by giving it compressions (she's a nurse and it was her instinct; I've also heard of this with fish).

So I know that mantids breathe by air passing over them, so I started blowing on him and pumped his abdomen a few times. All of a sudden, a leg twitch! (This was after a full 2 minutes after taking him out the water, for which he had been in for at least 5-10). Then his abdomen pumped by itself while his legs re-gained rigidity and started grabbing on to my arm. After 10-20 mins under a light to dry him out, he was almost back to normal; it seemed like he was blind though. Within an hour he was all back to normal but wouldn't eat for a day or two. I saved a mantis but thought he might be brain damaged or the mantis equivalent.

The next two days went by with him not eating or going for food. If it got close he wouldn't bat it away he just wouldn't go for it. Anyway, yesterday he surprised me with this:

Message_1605554942919.jpg

Happy ending to an almost tragic story!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job saving him! Another thing you can do to save a newly drowned insect is to put them in a dish of salt. The salt will wick the moisture away. I've saved several beetles and other insects this way, although I've never tried a mantis.

- MantisGirl13

Good job saving him! Another thing you can do to save a newly drowned insect is to put them in a dish of salt. The salt will wick the moisture away. I've saved several beetles and other insects this way, although I've never tried a mantis.

- MantisGirl13
That's a neat trick with the salt. Hopefully Ill never have to use it though--lol!

Awesome story! Thanks so much for sharing. Glad you could save him and now he molted to an adult! So exciting. Gratz!

Well the surprise (to me anyway) was that a drowned bug can be brought back to life. But the adult molt (and eating again) just showed he was completely okay, as he was acting strange when he first came back to life.

Btw u didnt handle the mantis when it first molted did you? I usually wait 24 hours to handle my mantises after they molt. I ask this because the wings on your mantis should be brown yet they are white and clear which means it hasnt dried

I have occasionally put my hand in to adjust something and it walks off its perch onto my hand and then hangs off my hand. I "handle" it very delicately and then put it back. He actually dried perfect. Here are some pictures I just took:

20201209_135129.jpg20201209_135126.jpg

Yeah. The picture of it with all white. I just let it climb on my hand and then gently put him back to hang upside down to dry.