Weird things Mantids do....

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG_Mantis

Reaction score
What's some of the strangest things your buddies do?

Our Rhombodera thinks she's big enough to eat us from time to time. Luckily today we are able to distract her with a pencil... She chewed on the thing for at least 10 min. 

IMG_20201126_143512_175~2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one that could fold herself while cleaning herself. She started with it when she was a nymph and in adulthood she kept doing it. I have never had a mantis doing it. She was special.

Mine does the same exact thing occasionally. I kinda of wonder why it's not as often as say their feet or eyes. 

I have had a lot of mantids after this one. I have never seen  any ofthem doing the same like folding itself bij cleaning abdomen
Well so far the mantises I have owned are weird. I've got a boxer mantis that likes to hide in her moss rather than at the top and a Galinthais that runs circles on his lid.

Once, one of my mantises was hanging close to the ground, and when it pooped, it thought the turd was a bug and snatched it up. The mantis took a bite or two and dropped the turd in disgust, only to once again think the dot falling before their face was a new bug and it repeated the process. :poop:

Once, one of my mantises was hanging close to the ground, and when it pooped, it thought the turd was a bug and snatched it up. The mantis took a bite or two and dropped the turd in disgust, only to once again think the dot falling before their face was a new bug and it repeated the process. :poop:
These little bugs look like they'd be intelligent but haha nope.