Gathering Extra Information on Heterochaeta Orientalis Care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheWrongCrowd

Reaction score
Hello, I've ordered a Heterochaeta Orientalis nymph after some long and hard research. Ive prepared a large enclosure, with a net at the top, paper towel at the bottom, sticks, a hydrometer and thermometer for them and now am waiting for my L2-3 chaeta to be shipped. The nymph will first be kept in a smaller enclosure with the same conditions. I want to make sure I can have them as long as i can and make sure they have a happy healthy life cycle. How can I further determine a lower chance of mismolts with my chaeta? Thanks,

~TheWrongCrowd

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an excellent caresheet. 

I don't recommend netting. I've never had a HO mismolt, but I've read many who have and they think net mesh is not the best molting surface. I use lots of branches instead for this species. Never had a problem. Good luck! 🍀

Here is an excellent caresheet. 

I don't recommend netting. I've never had a HO mismolt, but I've read many who have and they think net mesh is not the best molting surface. I use lots of branches instead for this species. Never had a problem. Good luck! 🍀
Thank you, yeah I checked that one out and it was real thorough. Great, Would you say a cloth or tissue at the top be better, or is that not needed?

If in doubt always go with natural sticks. Yo can glue to the top or put in a long one to climb on which would be my choice. I also

use foam glued to the lid if worried on a molt, it never fails for them to hold onto.

Would you say a cloth or tissue at the top be better, or is that not needed?
I don't use either for this species. My large HO enclosures have lots of of branches high in the enclosures. I try not to place branches too close to the bottom of the enclosure at the advice of one of the best breeders in the hobby. I was told that males often molt from branches that are too low. I haven't experienced this issue myself... probably because I followed his advice. 😁

In my smaller HO enclosures (I separate the males before their final molt) I attach a layer of approximately 1/2 diameter sticks to the lid of the enclosures and leave the lower areas relatively clear of decor. I've never had a mismolt even in the smaller enclosures. Like @hibiscusmile said, foam is also an excellent option. 

I don't use either for this species. My large HO enclosures have lots of of branches high in the enclosures. I try not to place branches too close to the bottom of the enclosure at the advice of one of the best breeders in the hobby. I was told that males often molt from branches that are too low. I haven't experienced this issue myself... probably because I followed his advice. 😁

In my smaller HO enclosures (I separate the males before their final molt) I attach a layer of approximately 1/2 diameter sticks to the lid of the enclosures and leave the lower areas relatively clear of decor. I've never had a mismolt even in the smaller enclosures. Like @hibiscusmile said, foam is also an excellent option. 

If in doubt always go with natural sticks. Yo can glue to the top or put in a long one to climb on which would be my choice. I also

use foam glued to the lid if worried on a molt, it never fails for them to hold onto.
Sweet, thank you guys so much, I will go with sticks. I appreciate the great advice and will try the foam too

Latest posts