Help for a new keeper :)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erizo

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get 3 new mantids. I currently have 1 H. Majuscula and I'm wanting H. Veonosa, P. Whalbergii, and R. Megaera (I found a breeder that has all 3 currently available! (Yay!). Any tips on caring for them? I've found care guides and info for the first 3 species but the Rhombodera Megaera I haven't seen much info on, or found any care guides besides people saying it's a beginner species. I was planning an exo terra 8x8x12 for the 3 larger species and a smaller 4x4x8 for the spiny flower. Is this a good plan, or would something else be more suitable? TIA 

Hello. Do you have plastic/fabric mesh to put on the lids/tops of these cages? Also if you are getting babies they will be too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how to reply individually, but yes, I have plenty of mesh for the top of the cage and I bought some deli cups for the babies, since I know they will be small. I did look in the care guide section but unfortunately I don't see a lot of species listed in that section and the R. Megaera doesn't seem to be one. 

I have an H. venosa and several R. megaera. (megaera are one of my favorite species. They are both great mantids, that I keep in 8x8x12 exo-terras. Their care is that of beginner mantids; megaera seem to like a bit more humidity (60-75%) and the venosa I had no idea so I treated it like a H. membranacea and made 60% humidity my maximum. Any more questions feel free to ask her or on a PM!

EDIT: They are both subadults though and I have two more R. megaera (L3's that I'm raising for a family member).

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an H. venosa and several R. megaera. (megaera are one of my favorite species. They are both great mantids, that I keep in 8x8x12 exo-terras. Their care is that of beginner mantids; megaera seem to like a bit more humidity (60-75%) and the venosa I had no idea so I treated it like a H. membranacea and made 60% humidity my maximum. Any more questions feel free to ask her or on a PM!

EDIT: They are both subadults though and I have two more R. megaera (L3's that I'm raising for a family member).
Venosa are very sensitive to humidity, too much can easily kill them so good ventilation is important.

Latest posts