Adulthood

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaylordlizard

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering do mantids become worse hunters when they become adults? I know they don't eat as much, especially as adult males, which momo happens to be. 

I'm cutting mealworms in half sometimes and putting them up to Momo's mouth and he'll only eat a little bit and then start grooming himself. Other times I'm leaving reasonably sized mealworms visable at the bottom for him to get at his own time-which he doesn't.

He's been going near the bottom of his enclosure nearly every night for a week, which I read is a sign of hunger and/or thirst. I've been spraying his enclosure daily but it's also winter so it is dryer (and his enclosure is mesh so may require more sprays, especially now). What makes me think Momo's probably acting out of hunger is that he does try to attack the mealworms when he sees them in my tweezers. It has been taking him a while to notice food though and he can be at really awkward angles for him to grab the mealworms fully and not drop them.

I kinda feel at my wits end because I don't want him to starve. And there is a bit more water intake he could be getting if he ate a full mealworm.

Lastly, yesterday I tried to feed him some honey water (with a small mealworm on the popsicle stick I put the honey water mixture on) but getting him to notice it was impossible, and I don't think he got any. It's been about 2 weeks since he's had a small full mealworm- I would think he would be hungry for more than just occasional guts to the mouth.

Is feeding difficulty a common trait when taking care of adults or adult males? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree. In my experience, male mantids can be just as savage as females, but their instinct is to search for females and mate. I think I’m some species, the drive is stronger than others. If you have a female in your home, as soon as she starts releasing pheromones, I would say forget about the male eating and just keep him hydrated. 
If you don’t have a female, then the mealworms probably just aren’t triggering his hunting response and I would order some flies. I find the most stubborn mantis will chase after a fly. Good luck and hopefully everything works out.

~Stephen

I would agree. In my experience, male mantids can be just as savage as females, but their instinct is to search for females and mate. I think I’m some species, the drive is stronger than others. If you have a female in your home, as soon as she starts releasing pheromones, I would say forget about the male eating and just keep him hydrated. 
If you don’t have a female, then the mealworms probably just aren’t triggering his hunting response and I would order some flies. I find the most stubborn mantis will chase after a fly. Good luck and hopefully everything works out.

~Stephen
Thank you for your helpful advice! Unfortunately, I don't have a female. But I can order some flies. Thanks again!