Mantids "nibbling"?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWelti

Reaction score
I have read up on how mantids are not likely to bite, if handled properly.  I have  Chinese Mantis that seems to want to "nibble" on my hand.  It is not like a sudden strike, more like he just lays his head on my hand and starts gnawing on the skin.  It didn't hurt but did freak me out!  I thought it might be a one-off anomalous behavior but I just had him out of his enclosure again just now and he seemed to be wanting to get another taste.  Is this normal?

Oh , ok.  I have been misting but hard to know when it is too much.  The enclosure he is in has a lot of ventilation.  I've yet to see any of my mantids drinking.  It has concerned me.  I guess I thought they might be getting enough from their food.

Here is my Chinese L1 nymph drinking:

They will bow their body and head low to a surface and sip (nibble) from it. My mantids do that with my hand when they are thirsty, usually they seem very well with just their food as hydration for a good amount of time, so I find it hard to catch them in the act. I would say give a light misting once a day (or twice if you are keeping it on the warmer side or there's a lot of ventilation) and as long as you are doing that and the RH moves towards 50-65, then your mantis should be well hydrated as far as I know.

Capture+_2021-02-21-22-51-38~3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing, right after I said I had never seen any of them drinking, I saw the Chinese Mantis take a drink.  Didn't seem like a lot though, just a few seconds.

Now my other Chinese mantis took a nibble.  I tried to just let him gnaw away and see what happens but I couldn't take it!  Didn't hurt but I kept expecting it to.  I put him down and sprayed several drops of water right in front of him and no reaction.  I feed him and mist regularly, trying to make sure to get some nice big juicy drops of water right next to him so he can drink.  Only ever saw him drink once though.  Usually he just chases the water drop and strikes at it as it rolls down the side of the enclosure.

I wonder if it is a "thing" with Chinese Mantids to gnaw on people.  I did see one other post somewhere about it and it was also a Chinese mantis.  i like handling them, so I guess I'll just get some gloves or something.  Maybe if he gets a taste of some latex, he will lose interest!