How well can mantises pick a safe molting spot?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChitandChat

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is a question I've been wondering as I'm going to design my heterochaeta sp. their final enclosure. Do they analyze their surroundings first? 

I've found that my Heterochaeta males often choose spots that are a little too low to the bottom of the enclosure. I've found it helpful to have more upper branches with plenty of clearance below and avoid low hanging branches altogether. 

I've found that my Heterochaeta males often choose spots that are a little too low to the bottom of the enclosure. I've found it helpful to have more upper branches with plenty of clearance below and avoid low hanging branches altogether. 
I see, thanks! 🤔 I was thinking of having a piece of cork bark or some wood up high (maybe an inch of space between it and the ceiling to prevent it being used as a molting spot) and protruding towards the inside of that tank. I was also considering using the advice for nymph enclosures in the DIY enclosure guide that suggests having the sticks be almost perpendicular.

My Heterochaetas are in a mesh enclosure and it's about 50/50 if they molt on the top or sides, so I don't know that it really matters. I think the only issue would be what was mentioned above about the low branches because they may not judge distance to the bottom of the enclosure. I'm waiting to see what one of my guys does with his next molt because he's decided the bottom of the cage is his territory. Rarely climbs at all but eats and acts otherwise normal.

Latest posts