Need advice on my L2 Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannahaubreep

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new here and have a few questions about my Orchid Mantis (L2) that I received from USMantis 2 days ago. We also bought their bioactive kit enclosure from their site. (pics below)

Since setting it all up, the first annoying issue has been the humidity levels. I was convinced that we would have a hard time keeping it humid enough being I'm in CO, but the hydrometer has been reading 80+, even 99% now. 

The mantis has really only been hanging from the top of the enclosure. Not moving a whole lot and we tried to feed it melangaster flies in which it was not interested and just hit them away. Another thing we noticed was that last night it was hanging from 2 legs. Is that normal? I have been hoping that this behavior is because it is readying to moult soon. But I am just getting more anxious as time goes by.

Any advice would be appreciated!😊

Hannah

20210501_211736.jpg

20210501_131235.jpg

Try opening it up some, it is to wet. It is probably going to molt. It will need bigger flies after the molt too. It is normal to hang like that when molting, this species likes to sit like a little kid propped up on its elbows watching tv.

I agree with hibisucsmile. Although orchids are a high humidity species, they do not like it wet. This can kill them as mold can grow rapidly. Most likely that it is in premolt if it is swatting food away. What temp are you keeping her at? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both for your responses. The temperature is currently at 72.1 degrees and humidity is at 84%. I am about to go out a get a heating pad as I understand it's on the cooler side.... right?

Humidity is perfect. Yes an increase in temperature will also help. Try to get it up to 75-80 if you can but don't worry to much.  

Humidity is to high and if you put a heating pad under it, trust me it will die as the heat and that much water will suffocate it without air flow. 

Just for on L2 mantis that cage is way to big a 32oz deli cup should work just fine for its nymph stages of life. It may have trouble hunting its food.

Latest posts