Tell me about your (semi)communal species experiences

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie

Reaction score
While I know most agree there is no true "communal" species of mantis, there are a few species that people are able to house together successfully. I currently have cat-eyes (perfect angels) and ghosts (tricky until I figured out they love hiding in ferns), but I would like to experiment with more. What are your experiences? Anyone kept Popa spurca communally? I've heard mixed reports on those.

I've kept Popa spurca communally. They did well together for me, but there was one casualty once they hit adulthood.

I've only had one incident with cat-eyes, but it was after mating so I don't know if that counts. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
I've kept Popa spurca communally. They did well together for me, but there was one casualty once they hit adulthood.
Yeah, I'm interested in trying Popa spurca next. I volunteer in the insect department of a science museum, so I'm trying to breed mantids for them and other local museums. They always have displays of single female orchids or dead leafs, but I think large displays of (relatively)communal species would be interesting. There are plenty of insect colonies there that occasionally have cannibalism, so the museum would take that risk.

Ive kept popa together no problem. Ghost nymphs can get spooked from eachother but either than that havent had any major incidents.