Damaged limbs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bogsy OG

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to the forum and about a year and a half of raising mantids. I just wanted to share a couple of my experiences/observations about my chinese that had damaged limbs or wings. Most damaged or missing limbs will regrow depending on severity and the ability of the mantis to function normally between molts and how many molts left before getting wings. I had a mantis that had unusable back legs because of a bad molt. I clipped off the damaged/bent pieces as evenly as I could but they were not long enough to use. The mantis functioned fine and grew longer legs each of his next three molts when he got his wings and had normal, full functioning back legs. On another mantis that had unusable wings after his final molt, I clipped them (all pieces) off very short. He was fine, active and happy for five or six weeks until he escaped into the cage next door where "Killerbitch" lived. He must have died happy because when I found  his head in "KB's" apartment the next day he had a smile on his face...

Last edited by a moderator:
The male squeezed between the top of the aquarium and a divider wall. He was determined...