Frustrated, my poor double shield L6 is dying

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatWhyWhere

Reaction score
He was totally fine three days ago, I had him out for awhile during work and he was just his chipper self. I fed him his very first cricket because I didn't feel like messing with the bean beetle culture. Work has been nuts and I've been working way too many hours. He was chubby and healthy and grabbed the cricket right away. 

Usually, I would have fed him and checked water yesterday, but, I got stuck at a family obligation late. Today he's so skinny his abdomen is practically flat, he has black discharge around his mouth and butt and his abdomen is weirdly light green with a dark core down the middle of it. He can barely stand. I gave him some honey, but, the poor thing is just dying. 

I don't understand how he went downhill so fast. I thought this was one of the species that can eat crickets. It wasn't a pet store cricket either, I ordered in some banded crickets a couple months ago and this was one of my own crickets I hatched and raised myself on nothing but organic everything and filtered water.

I've been so nervous about feeding them crickets because I know some species can't have them, I'm totally kicking myself now for not taking a few more minutes and getting him some bean beetles instead. 

There's likely nothing else I can do right?

All species shouldn’t have them. They carry bacteria and disease, doesn’t matter where they are from. If they are housed with other crickets they will have bacteria.

Yeah, I definitely won't risk it again. The breeder I got him from recommended crickets for those and the African Twigs. 

I had doubts though and shouldn't have done it. I bought 6 mantids as my first ones and all of them are still alive including the orchids- all but this one that I was dumb enough to feed a cricket to. 

Instead of crickets I give my mandtids grasshoppers of dubias.  And flies when they are in my home. I have 4 hissing rooaches but they aren't food

I'm guessing something else was the cause, because I lost another one today. Also suddenly got diarrhea, but, this one had only eaten bean beetles and flies. 

I'm sort of wondering if maybe they need more light or something. I've had them for 4 months and it's weird to go from everybody just fine to two dying in the same week.

The other thought since food isn't a common factor is that maybe the bottled water I bought wasn't as purified as it should have been. It hasn't bothered any of my other invertebrates, but, I know these guys are more sensitive. 

Kind of a bummer, I thought I really had these guys figured out.