Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After the Arizona unicorn ooth incident, i received another parcel of oothecae, guess what happened (yeah make a wild guess :roll: ), it hatched during shipment!! USPS must have the best incubating condition for them to hatch ha! :lol:

This time it is the idolomantis diabolica...bummer :(

hatch1.jpg

Here are just few of the casualties, from the dismembered and headless body, it shows that nymphs must have hatched out some days ago and cannibalism took place as well.

hatch2.jpg

Here are the ooth that hatched

hatch3.jpg

I immediately threw in bunch of D. hydei, but the large ff looks so small for them so house flies were used. The hatchling are very thirsty and hungry that they gobbled up the house flies. Not many species of hatchling able to handle house fly, this is definately one species that has no problem!

Ahh no! I had this happen to me when I got my first Idolo ooths from Tanz, which was such a bugger. Well at least you still have some live guys left.

Were these wild caught or captive bred ooths?

Wow :shock: i cant believe there big enough to eat house flys at L1 thats very impressive. I'm glad not all of them perished through transit. Best of luck with your new nymphs.

These are wild collected i presumed, traded the ooth from UK. There might be other people out there successfully breeding this species but the only person i knew is Sascha who has a record of captive bred ootheca hatching. Unfortunately his ootheca didn't hatch out for me but he is going to send me more so i will have new bloodline. Currently i have about 50-60 nymphs and another three oothecae (finger crossed all nymphs survive and all the ooth hatch) to work with.

Thanks Ismart i need all your luck :wink:

Had to be idolos an all :roll:

Good luck with ya next ones, think about 90 hatch?

Hey Yen, if you can get them to feed and water them for you too, then all you have to do is address boxes and they can just ship them to their new homes! I would of cried :cry: . Make sure you address mine first, cause you know I want them babies! :D

about 80 hatched, one has about 50 and the other 30. Bummer they hatched during transit, otherwise i would have greater number of breeding stock to work with.

Yes Ogiga the hatchling of this species is huge, and even has visible lobe at first instar.

WOw that would almost guarantee live arrival isn't it Rebecca :wink: I don't mind the "extra" work at all :lol: The hatchling are still weak, i hope to nurse them back into good health again before sending any away. Not going to keep them all myself i promise!

Hi.

In fact, L1 Idolomantis even may handle Lucilia flies.

There are only 4 persons (including myself) breeding this species from the beginning (first imports some years ago) without adding new blood. My stock changed meanwhile from a one-year to a half-year cycle. The species isn't really simple, so I doubt it will spread like Hymenopus. Over here, everyone got it and tried to breed it, but after 2 years, the same 4 persons rested which really breed Idolomantis. Until now, there were 4 stocks known: one from Mwanza, one from Moshi, one from Musoma and one from Malindi. The Malindi and Moshi stocks are extinct in culture, the Musoma one of Sascha is new. He bred it for one generation and was not really successful, so he gave it away to someone else. It would be interesting to know how long it will persist. Only the Mwanza stock persisted from the beginning. The ooths traded by Yen would maybe represent a new stock, if breeding is succesful. The reason why it is important to differentiate between stocks is that they turned out to be partially incompatible and may require different climatic conditions. Without knowing the origin every import is rather risky.

Regards,

Christian

Whoa. You've still got quite a few nymphs though, so I'm sure you'll have good luck with them.

Christian - Very interesting bit of information there...

Hi.In fact, L1 Idolomantis even may handle Lucilia flies.

There are only 4 persons (including myself) breeding this species from the beginning (first imports some years ago) without adding new blood. My stock changed meanwhile from a one-year to a half-year cycle. The species isn't really simple, so I doubt it will spread like Hymenopus. Over here, everyone got it and tried to breed it, but after 2 years, the same 4 persons rested which really breed Idolomantis. Until now, there were 4 stocks known: one from Mwanza, one from Moshi, one from Musoma and one from Malindi. The Malindi and Moshi stocks are extinct in culture, the Musoma one of Sascha is new. He bred it for one generation and was not really successful, so he gave it away to someone else. It would be interesting to know how long it will persist. Only the Mwanza stock persisted from the beginning. The ooths traded by Yen would maybe represent a new stock, if breeding is succesful. The reason why it is important to differentiate between stocks is that they turned out to be partially incompatible and may require different climatic conditions. Without knowing the origin every import is rather risky.

Regards,

Christian
Maybe I should try breeding them..

Must've cost a lot...
Nope... it was traded for other species, no money (in liquid form) involved.

Whoa. You've still got quite a few nymphs though, so I'm sure you'll have good luck with them.
Thanks, i'll be happy if half of them survive to adulthood, majority of them were in no good shape when i got them yesterday. I am surprise they survived in a small container going through a rought trip without food and water.

Update: i have another 2-3 casualties, but the rest are doing well after gobbled up some juicy honey/pollen coated flies.