Hello from Coquitlam, BC!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wordmerchant

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm Paul! I'm from New Zealand, where I quickly fell in love with our local species (Orthodera novaezealandiae) and was delighted to learn about all the other species around the world.

Now living in Coquitlam, BC, Canada, I acquired a Chinese Green Mantis ootheca from the Victoria Bug Zoo back in March. I've been keeping it in a ventilated jar in my garage, and misting it daily, but they haven't hatched yet. Maybe I should move it outside, where it's a little warmer?

Of course, once they hatch, my plan is to separate them into individual containers and raise them from there. I understand they're a popular species for beginners.

The Victoria Bug Zoo warned me not to release any into the garden for pest control, because 1. they don't discriminate between pest and beneficial insects and 2. they are known to eat hummingbirds once they reach adult size. Not that I would release them in the first place, mind, seeing as they're not native to BC.

What do you reckon about selling some of the nymphs? I don't want to get involved in shipping or anything as involved in that, but I thought it would be neat to set up little habitats for the nymphs and maybe sell them at a yard sale or something low-key like that? Are there any regulations against that sort of thing?

Please pardon my ignorance, as I'm very new to this forum and am still learning my way around. You all sound like a brilliant lot!

Cheers,

Paul

Attachments

• 20240502_104401.jpg
    20240502_104401.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240502_104429.jpg
    20240502_104429.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 0
haha, he said we are a brillant lot! welcome. we of course do not know the laws there. bt I don't see why you cannot. It's silly to tell someone not to release mantis, all Gods creatures depend on each other. Sure some things will get eaten, but more will die due to bug sprays and birds eating the, so mantis IMO can't do much harm.

Latest posts