Brunners stick mantis care

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
Does the Brunners stick mantis have any special requirements? Like specific heat, or humidity levels? Are they easy to care for? Any tips on caring for them? Are they an easy species or hard?

@Mystymantis Care wise I found them a impossible species to hatch and successfully rear.

Perhaps it was just weak nymphs from a ooth that dried out too much; however, I secured three ooths from different members (in different states wild collected) with the same outcome in my attempt. Then again they were all from the same season in the wild, same US southern region, and shipped within days of each other so they likely encountered the same problem(s) - but I am in no rush to try again.

While the nymphs hatched easy enough with standard humidity levels (50-65%), they hatched more frequently with temps in the high 70s F to low 80s F. Once hatched I had best success offering the nymphs both springtails and Melanogaster FF as feeders together. I've read others start them on Hydei, but the nymphs I had hatch would not eat Hydei and merely run from them.

Again with warmer temps in the low to mid 80s the growing nymphs did better (as native to the southern US it is best to emulate such temps/humidity). The oldest nymph I had reached L4 before her care was neglected a bit (bad flu for a few days) and she died. So I would place their care to at least immediate husbandry.

Hopefully you will get late instar nymphs/adults, or at least have better luck than I with the species.

Latest posts