Anger management issues

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massaman

Reaction score
Anyone else besides me ever had a male mantis or female that has a constant chip on its shoulder as mine seems to be always in a foul mood esp trying to catch it as it flies all over the place and is in a constant state of anger unless I let it cool down some but its just unusual for a male to keep in a constant threat pose every time it flies away and half the time not even touching it when it flies away from me!

Temperament not only varies between species, but also between individuals. For example, one of my D. lobata females was very docile and never did a threat pose, while another female was extremely ferocious. She would threaten me at every opportunity, and even pinched me so hard she almost drew blood.

My first and only mantis, so far, is like that if I try to interact with her at all beyond feeding/misting. The best I can get from her is for her to take a cricket, or other feed, from tweezers.

My mantis seems to be docile and content to watch me (more than I watch her I swear); however, if I try to put my hand anywhere near her she will run around my hand and if I block her path she will bash me with her head several times. I imagine if I kept trying to let her climb into my hand at that point, keeping it by her, she would really attack. I stop at that point as there is no point in stressing her out more.

No matter how many times I tried to hand tame her to climb on she refuses, so I gave it up after a week of daily attempts. A few days ago I had to use a cup with excelsior to trap her so I could move her to her new habitat and collect her ooths (she was hanging from the habitat lid as usual). Once the cup lid got near the cup (once I manged to slowly get her in) she went berzerk/crazy attacking the lid until I quickly released her into the new habitat. She even had her wings flared up.

As she was a wild caught adult I imagine that she's just to old to change now. Though I'm hoping any nymphs I get from my ooths will be hand tamed.

no this is the african european male mantis and managed to breed him with one of my two females and got him out safely and he did no harm to the female as well as he just is the type who thinks he can escape and go do anything he wants as this is america and guess mantids can do whatever they want!

he just is the type who thinks he can escape and go do anything he wants as this is america and guess mantids can do whatever they want!
I think that pretty much sums it up. :gunsmilie: After all what can be done to punish them, spank them? lol

Almost all of my males did this for a few weeks after the adult molt. They seem to be a lot more easily scared and threat pose more during the first few weeks. For example my male creo threat posed or flied away when he saw movement anywhere near him. After a couple weeks he started acting completely docile and wouldn't treat pose even if I touched him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mines did the same 1-3 weeks after adult stage molt as well. Guess those wings get to their heads I suppose hahaha.

Latest posts