Bolbena hottentotta the smallest species in captivity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABbuggin

Reaction score
Well, not many of you have heard of this species, Bolbena hottentotta, but I am lucky enough to have of acquired it. :)

This is an African species. It is very small. The adult females are only 15mm long, and the L1 nymphs are only about 2.5 mm long. Hatchlings are too small for fruit flies so I have to feed them spring tails. The species is also very rare in captivity, there are approximately only 4 breeders in the world with this species! :blink: This is the first time they have been in the US. B) I hope I am successful at breeding them!

If you do a mantidforum search for Bolbena hottentotta you will come across a pic of an adult female. ;)

Here is a pic of the ooths I received a few weeks ago from Germany:

IMG_2014.jpg

And finally, after a few weeks of anxious waiting here are some L1 nymph pics! :D

IMG_2047.jpg

They also like to "box" (just like boxers)

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

And now, for some size comparisons. :D

Here is one next to a ruler (on the mm side!)

IMG_2050.jpg

One on a dime!

IMG_2063.jpg

And one on the tip of a toothpick!

IMG_2065.jpg

I currently have 13, but I expect about 60-80 more to hatch (after all, I have 12 ooths!)

IMG_2068.jpg

Later on I'll post some exploded pics, and after a day or so, I'll post a few of them eating springtails (and even one next to a fruit fly!). B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are pretty incredible. I hope you're successful. This species looks like a perfect candidate for some macro photography!

iain5 said:
Those are pretty incredible. I hope you're successful. This species looks like a perfect candidate for some macro photography!
Thank you. :)

I think its a perfect species for Macro Junkie to take some pics of! :lol:

Wow those guys are small! Good luck on raising and breeding them.

Wow those guys are small! Good luck on raising and breeding them.
Thank you Rick. I think this species will make me go cross eyed! :lol:

Sometime today I will post a few blown up pics, a size comparison to a fruit fly (the mantids are actually smaller than a malongaster fly :blink: ), and a few pics of how I plan to keep them since feeding them springtails throws in a twist or two. :rolleyes:

Hey congrats AB, good luck with raising them. ;) Hopefully all goes well!

Grats on the hatching .... I wish you success with them. Too small for me to mess with, but glad someone is taking the time to introduce them to the US.

Ok, back with pics and this time they are magnified! (8 mega pixels comes in handy sometime you know ;) )

close up of one "boxing" they do this a LOT more than my boxers (Otomantis, sp.) ever did :blink:

IMG_2057-1.jpg

close up of the one on the dime

IMG_2063-1.jpg

close up of the one on the tooth pick

IMG_2065-1.jpg

Here is one of my many spring tail cultures, the white blotches are the insects. ;)

IMG_2072.jpg

Here is a close up of the springtails, they are only a 1 mm long! (the white stuff (not the bugs) is some of their food)

IMG_2073.jpg

Here is what I use to collect the little things, its called an aspirator. Basically, I suck on one tube and the bugs get sucked up down the other tube into the bottle. Who ever invented it was a genius. :)

IMG_2074.jpg

And here is one next to a malongastor fruit fly, they are smaller than hydei lol

IMG_2079.jpg

I actually keep the mantids in some of my spring tial cultures with some spamgum (sp.?) moss. The mantids then sit on the moss picking the springtials off the bottom. B) Couldn't be easier.

I got a culture from joshsfrogs.com I then used that culture to start several others. ;)

There are people with them in the UK, I know because I had a hard time finding somebody with them in the US instead of the UK. :rolleyes: They are the temperate kind. ;)

is that the only way to get the spring tails? I dont wanna suck on any thing with a bug in it! :( oh yea and the first new pic, he looks like curious george ha ha!

I actually keep the mantids in some of my spring tial cultures with some spamgum (sp.?) moss. The mantids then sit on the moss picking the springtials off the bottom. Couldn't be easier.
So the springtails won't effect the mantids when they molt? Or do you take the mantids out?

Back with more pics for everybody. :D

is that the only way to get the spring tails? I dont wanna suck on any thing with a bug in it!
There is actually some screen covering the the end of the tube that I suck on (the end that is in the bottle) so I dont suck up any bugs. I use this a lot to collect mantis food, and using the screen is a good way of preventing me from sucking up a bee! :D

IMG_2090.jpg

Here is how I keep the mantids, see if you can spot any with out any magnification! :lol:

IMG_2091.jpg

Here's a couple close ups, the first pic is of a mantid that has already eaten (hence the inflated abdomen) :)

IMG_2093.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

And here's one more super close up, blew it up real big so its a little fuzzy :lol: (he has eaten too :) )

IMG_2096.jpg

I'll going to be getting a pic of one eating, but it wont be immeadiatly. They are VERY easily startled and readily drop their prey if I even slightly vibrate the container (yes, I have managed to see a few eat lol). :rolleyes: