Kikori giant praying mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypoponera

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this mantid? I found it in a kids book, "Praying Mantises" by Larry Dane Brimner, 1999. On page 25 is the coolest looking PINK mantid. It looks like a giant African in outline. It is listed as being from New Guinea.

The book is packed with very nice color photos and while common names are used, all but this one I can recognize. And they are used with the correct mantid. I will try to add the photo if I ever figure out how!

Heres the pic :D ,

07022007104020amrp0.jpg

Looks like a typical african mantis.

Considering how much undocumented flora/fauna there still is in Papua New Guinea/Irian Jaya, I'll bet there's some really cool specimens from there we have yet to see...

BEN M- Thanks for posting the photo for me!

Rick- Are there African mantids in New Guinea? I also though it looked very "African"!

Does anyone know if this species is in or has been in culture? Is PINK the common color? Even my wife liked the look of this species!

Christian- What features shows that it is Tamolanica sp? I have also been told it might be Amorphoscelidpe sp Alas, I do not recognize either genus.

I'm with Chritian; it is either Hierodula or Tamolonica, but it really doesn't look like a Sphodromantis.

I can guarantee 100% that is not from the family Amorphoscelidae :wink:

Did the book give any gudie to the size of this mantis ? To me it doesn't look greater than 3" comparative to the plant it is on.

Rob.

it looks pic because of the printing. most likely, based on everything else in the photo with the gamma coloring looking off, the mantis is like brown/tan/gray.

The pronotum is slightly dilatated at the supracoxal bulge, and the dilatation ends before the metazona ending; this points to Tamolanica. Those mantids are mostly brown, but sometimes they have a waxy tinge, which may look slightly pinkish.

Regards,

Christian

Mike, Tamolanica Tamolana (New Guinea shield mantis) was one of the species I kept 2 years ago, i was busy with my license exams so shipped all my adult pairs to another breeder, unfortunately this breeder failed to care for them even i have mated the pair (i'm still dissappointed! :x ) and it was not available ever since. They are nice species. i should have kept the species with me :(

TTm3.jpg

ttmate2.jpg

TTf2.jpg

TTf4.jpg

Latest posts