Miomantis paykullii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this species? Is it hardy and easy to care for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy species and fun to keep, they are small but they'll happily tackle prey that looks too big for them. Mine have eaten any flies I care to throw at them and crickets up to l3 size. Mine have been kept in quite minimal containers, 1.5lt tubs with some twigs for climbing and moulting at room temp. 

This species is a lot of fun. I have a subadult female, and she is beautiful! They are very easy to care for, and have great personalities. I totally recommend this species. It is a great beginner's species. Go for it!

- MantisGirl13

@danl82 @MantisGirl13 Thanks for the info!

I've read that this species mainly eats hydei as a staple? So, they can handle bluebottle flies easily? BBF are the staple for my mantids. I don't feed any of them crickets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you'd need a lot of hydei to keep them well fed once they put on any size. I've mainly used appropriate sized crickets and flies when I can. Houseflies seem ideal. Had a nest of ants in the garden that released all the new queens and drones yesterday, so I grabbed about 30 or so and chucked them in a pot. Any of my small mantids from a young panther mantis to my adult mio's loved them.

Latest posts