Ooth ID help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisGirl13

Reaction score
I found an ooth in the woods by my house. It is not a Chinese ooth, and I am thinking it is a Stagmomantis species, but idk because I have never found an ooth other than a Chinese ooth around here. I am in PA, and the ooth was found on a reed-like plant about a foot from the ground. Thanks!

Sorry for the bad pic! 

IMG_20190205_151017_hdr.jpg

- MantisGirl13

Most likely Stagmomantis, but T. angustipennis can look very similar. I was surprised to learn that T. sinensis and T. angustipennis ooths differed in appearance. 

To me it looks like a Carolina mantis ootheca (Stagmomantis). It is possible it is a Narrow winged mantis ( T. angustipennis) but I am thinking it is more likely Carolina. If you look at pictures on the web of both egg cases you might be able to find out which one it is. I think Carolina ootheca are smaller. How large is the ootheca? an inch long?

To me it looks like a Carolina mantis ootheca (Stagmomantis). It is possible it is a Narrow winged mantis ( T. angustipennis) but I am thinking it is more likely Carolina. If you look at pictures on the web of both egg cases you might be able to find out which one it is. I think Carolina ootheca are smaller. How large is the ootheca? an inch long?
Ok, thanks! I have never seen T. agustipennis around here. The ooth is about 1.25 inches long. 

- MantisGirl13

I looked T. agustipennis and S. carolina up, and I think it is stagmomantis. 

- MantisGirl13

Glad you could identify to most likely Carolina mantis. Carolina mantises are loads of fun!

If it is fertile it will hatch around May to early June. Good luck with your ootheca.

It’s tenodera angustipennis. I see a lot of people mistake their ooths for carolina mantids. Carolina mantids are a bit darker and to me appear a bit more “woody” or dorty, woth more brown. Also, the 2 deep ridges on the side of the ootheca is the dead giveaway. Also it seems a bit too big to be a stagmomantis egg case but that’s just my 2 cents. 

@mantisfan101 what deep ridges? The ooth doesn't have deep ridges.

- MantisGirl13
I should’ve stated this better, the darker lines running against the larger lighter section in the middle. The middle section seems to be raised a little bit compared to the rest of the ootheca. In stagmomantis, the stripe is generally light in color while the rest of the ootheca is a dark brown or chestnut and whatnot. I could be off since I haven’t kept any mantids for a few years now but it looks like a T. Angustipennis ootheca. Try searching up images of their egg sacs and you might see what I mean. 

Oh, ok. II have never seen T. agustipennis around here, but plenty of Carolinas. Thanks for your help!

- MantisGirl13

The ootheca in T. agustipennis appear to be messier, as in not as well formed little tube, then Carolina ootheca are. Though one thing that seems a little odd is the long tail edge on one end which seems to be more in T. agustipennis. I have seen many Carolina ootheca and it looks like one to me.

It really could be either since they are very similar. But I am leaning toward Carolina as I said. Look at Bugguide.net images, there are some good Narrow winged ootheca pictures there.

This is a Tenodera angustipennis ootheca.  

T. angustipennis oothecae are narrowed, elongate-oval in shape, measuring 25-47 mm long (not including residual material), 14-20 mm wide, and 10 mm high.  Distal end tapered with sizeable amount of residual process extending away from base and onto oviposition substrate; proximal end narrowly rounded to somewhat flattened. Lateral surface somewhat rugose, with obscured ribs, delimiting approximately 22–35 egg chambers. Eggs within the ootheca are positioned in rows, those along the center stand in right angles to the base with the outer rows inclined toward the central furrow.  Air cells are almost entirely absent within the oothecal material, making the exterior quite hard.  External wall brownish-tan with wide, raised, tan-colored emergence area consisting of 28-40 closely spaced operculi lining down center of dorsal surface, bordered by a darker brown furrow on either side. These openings are sealed with dried froth until nymph emergence.  External coating consisting of tan-colored material that wears away with age, revealing the darker brown external wall below.

Stagmomantis carolina oothecae are fairly robust, elongate-oval in shape, measuring 7-15 mm wide, 15-25 mm long, and 6-7 mm tall.  Distal end slightly concave with variable amount of residual process extending away from base; proximal end broadly rounded. Lateral surface ribbed, delimiting approximately 16–29 egg chambers. Eggs within the ootheca are positioned in parallel rows, standing on end, and inclined toward the central furrow.  External wall golden brown to brownish-gray in color with wide, slightly raised, whitish-tan emergence area consisting of 36-62 teardrop-shaped openings placed alternately down center of dorsal surface. These openings are sealed with dried froth until nymph emergence.  Thin external coating of tan-colored material typically wears away during winter, revealing the darker brown external wall below.

“Praying Mantises of the United States and Canada”

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Praying-Mantises-of-the-United-States-and-Canada

This is a Tenodera angustipennis ootheca.  

T. angustipennis oothecae are narrowed, elongate-oval in shape, measuring 25-47 mm long (not including residual material), 14-20 mm wide, and 10 mm high.  Distal end tapered with sizeable amount of residual process extending away from base and onto oviposition substrate; proximal end narrowly rounded to somewhat flattened. Lateral surface somewhat rugose, with obscured ribs, delimiting approximately 22–35 egg chambers. Eggs within the ootheca are positioned in rows, those along the center stand in right angles to the base with the outer rows inclined toward the central furrow.  Air cells are almost entirely absent within the oothecal material, making the exterior quite hard.  External wall brownish-tan with wide, raised, tan-colored emergence area consisting of 28-40 closely spaced operculi lining down center of dorsal surface, bordered by a darker brown furrow on either side. These openings are sealed with dried froth until nymph emergence.  External coating consisting of tan-colored material that wears away with age, revealing the darker brown external wall below.

Stagmomantis carolina oothecae are fairly robust, elongate-oval in shape, measuring 7-15 mm wide, 15-25 mm long, and 6-7 mm tall.  Distal end slightly concave with variable amount of residual process extending away from base; proximal end broadly rounded. Lateral surface ribbed, delimiting approximately 16–29 egg chambers. Eggs within the ootheca are positioned in parallel rows, standing on end, and inclined toward the central furrow.  External wall golden brown to brownish-gray in color with wide, slightly raised, whitish-tan emergence area consisting of 36-62 teardrop-shaped openings placed alternately down center of dorsal surface. These openings are sealed with dried froth until nymph emergence.  Thin external coating of tan-colored material typically wears away during winter, revealing the darker brown external wall below.

“Praying Mantises of the United States and Canada”

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Praying-Mantises-of-the-United-States-and-Canada
Thanks for the ID!

- MantisGirl13

Latest posts