RIP Domenic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceface

Reaction score
Domenic was my favorite male Orchid mantis, and I had to put him in the freezer yesterday. He was an old man, having molted to adult 11/7. Must've been 100 in mantis years! 

He had lost 2 back legs from age over the last month, but has been eating and hanging on this whole time like a champ. Yesterday, I found him on the floor of his enclosure. His back 2 remaining legs were not functioning well anymore; he seemed to have lost coordination and couldn't stand. Dom was still trying to fight for life: he grabbed onto a BBF and wouldn't let go, even though he couldn't eat it (we tried). Same with the Q-tip of honey water, clamped on with his raptorials and wouldn't let go even though he was drifting in and out of consciousness 

I gave him some honey water and held him in my hand for awhile to comfort him before sending him to the great terrarium in the sky ❤️

RIP old man Domenic. I'll miss you 😔😢💕

Sorry you lost him😢 

He lived quite a long time for a male, so you must be doing something right!

- MantisGirl13

Yes, Domenic taught me so much about how to care for males. He was a champ and I only wish Xena had been receptive to mating with him.

Sucks that I had no other females to breed him with during his adult life, the timing was just off for him. I lost my adult females when he matured, Xena wouldn't make a connection, and he was just too old to hang on for my current lot of females to mature. I have more males, but none of them are Domenic, lol. 

Thanks @MantisGirl13 and @hysteresis ❤️

It is always hard to let them go. People sometimes tell us we are stupid for caring for a bug, but we know we grow attached to them. Anyone on here remember my girl who had no front arms? She is my background on my laptop, still laugh when I look at it and what she did. She was quite a great mantis example of how they are.

So sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the right thing. He lived a very full life for a little man, so his rest is well earned.

Aww what a moving story about Dom, such a fighter ❤.... so sorry for your loss 🌸

Latest posts