Mantis Species?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonovanXFrancesca

Reaction score
! So I have two adult mantids, Donovan and Francesca, and I'd like to breed them since they're both native to my area. The only problem is I'm having issues identifying the species and if they can breed. I'm fairly sure Francesca is a Stagmomantis Californica, but I can't tell if Donovan is a male of this species or a Chinese mantis. He's smaller than those I've caught before and his wings look different, but I'd rather not risk his life if he can't actually breed her. Francesca is about 2.5-3in and light brown. Donovan is 2-2.5in long but his thorax and head are TINY with long wings. I posted this on another forum but I got no answer so now I'm here.Thank you for your help!! Much appreciated 
smiley.png

• « Prev
  • Next »
20190910_194157.jpg

Message_1568338621161.jpg

20190924_192228_HDR.jpg

If he's only 2-2.5" long he's not a Chinese mantis. Some clearer pics of him from multiple angles would be very helpful. I suspect he's Stagmomantis, but not certain. 

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Thinking (hoping) some form of Stagmomantis because he's so small. I want to breed him to my female, of which also needs identifying

Both are Stagmomantis limbata... male and female.

“Praying Mantises of the United States and Canada”

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Praying-Mantises-of-the-United-States-and-Canada
That's a super interesting and cool link! I'll be pouring over that in more detail later .. but it only gives the range of limbata and Californica, and there's no specific reference photos? I'm sorry, but I'm still confused. Also, that male refused to breed with that female, instead going for another one, this one a more "recognizable" limbata. I'm still a bit iffy on the brown female. But hey, at least I'll get some ooths this year! Thank you a ton for the link and help :)

Both are Stagmomantis limbata... male and female.

“Praying Mantises of the United States and Canada”

https://www.researchgate.net/project/Praying-Mantises-of-the-United-States-and-Canada
Just want to say that after browsing this website for awhile I finally found some Californica pics and I was definitely wrong. You're right, they're both limbata. Oops! Whenever I looked up "Californica" it just showed brown limbatas... Very odd. Oh well, now I know better! Thank you for your help!

Latest posts